Calculating Forces on a Block Against a Wall

In summary, a 15 N horizontal force is applied to a block weighing 3.0 N against a vertical wall. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are 0.71 and 0.51 respectively. The block will not move initially due to the static friction being greater than the weight of the block. The force exerted on the block by the wall is a normal force and a friction force, with the friction force being equal to the weight of the block. The static friction force is not always equal to the coefficient of static friction multiplied by the normal force.
mbrmbrg
Block on Wall--Does it Fall?

A 15 N horizontal force F pushes a block weighing 3.0 N against a vertical wall (Figure 6-25). The coefficient of static friction between the wall and the block is 0.71, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.51. Assume that the block is not moving initially.
(a) Will the block move?
(b) In unit-vector notation, what is the force exerted on the block by the wall?

I drew a diagram with a block against a wall. F acts on the block and points toward the wall. N also acts on the block and points away from the wall. mg acts on the block and points down; friction acts on the block and points up.
I also said that N=-F

The block will move if mg>static friction
==> mg>(mu_s)(N)
==> mg>(mu_s)(F)
==> 3.0>(0.71)(15)
==> 3>10.65
since mg<static friction, the block will not move.

But for part (b), when I said that N=-15i+0j, WebAssign said that the y-component was wrong. is friction a force exerted on the block by the wall? But WebAssign won't accept 10.7 as the y-component, either...

Physics news on Phys.org
mbrmbrg said:
A 15 N horizontal force F pushes a block weighing 3.0 N against a vertical wall (Figure 6-25). The coefficient of static friction between the wall and the block is 0.71, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.51. Assume that the block is not moving initially.
(a) Will the block move?
(b) In unit-vector notation, what is the force exerted on the block by the wall?

I drew a diagram with a block against a wall. F acts on the block and points toward the wall. N also acts on the block and points away from the wall. mg acts on the block and points down; friction acts on the block and points up.
I also said that N=-F

The block will move if mg>static friction
==> mg>(mu_s)(N)
==> mg>(mu_s)(F)
==> 3.0>(0.71)(15)
==> 3>10.65
since mg<static friction, the block will not move.

But for part (b), when I said that N=-15i+0j, WebAssign said that the y-component was wrong. is friction a force exerted on the block by the wall? But WebAssign won't accept 10.7 as the y-component, either...
It should accept 3 as the y -component. The wall exerts both a normal and a friction force on the block. At points of contact, you must consider forces in all directions . The 15N normal force acting left. The friction force acting up. But the friction force is not 10.7. It can only be equal to the blocks weight, from equilibrium considerations in the y direction. Remember, the static friction force is less than or equal to
(mu_s)(N). It is only equal to (mu_s)(N) just at that instant the block starts to move.

Thank you!

Related to Calculating Forces on a Block Against a Wall

1. What is the purpose of studying the "Block on Wall-Does it Fall?" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the concept of static equilibrium and to investigate how different factors, such as the size and weight of the block, affect whether the block falls or remains in place when placed against a wall.

2. How do you set up the "Block on Wall-Does it Fall?" experiment?

To set up this experiment, you will need a block, a wall, and a flat surface. Place the block on the flat surface and lean it against the wall. Make sure the surface and wall are both stable and that the block is not touching the ground.

3. What is the independent variable in the "Block on Wall-Does it Fall?" experiment?

The independent variable in this experiment is the size or weight of the block. This is the factor that the scientist can control and manipulate to observe its effect on the outcome of the experiment.

4. How can you measure the dependent variable in the "Block on Wall-Does it Fall?" experiment?

The dependent variable in this experiment is whether the block falls or remains in place. To measure this, the scientist can use a ruler or measuring tape to determine the distance between the wall and the top of the block before and after the experiment.

5. What are some potential sources of error in the "Block on Wall-Does it Fall?" experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include the surface and wall not being completely flat or stable, the block not being placed at the same angle each time, and human error in measuring the distance between the wall and block. It is important to control these variables to ensure accurate and reliable results.