Block Pulled Up Slope/Coefficient Of Kinetic Friction.

In summary, the blocks in question have masses of 5.56 kg and 4.66 kg, and are on a rough incline of 21.5 degrees. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the blocks is 0.276. The attempted solution used the equation a = m2g - m1gsin(theta) / (m1+m2) but neglected to include the kinetic friction. To find the correct solution, the friction force and normal force must be taken into account. The normal force can be found by analyzing the forces on the block perpendicular to the incline surface. The direction of the normal force and the weight of the block (mg) may need to be determined in order to find the correct solution.
kaylanp01

Homework Statement

Block A has a mass of 5.56 kg and is on a rough incline of 21.5 degrees to the horizontal. Block B has a mass of 4.66 kg and the coefficient of kinetic friction between Block A and the plane is 0.276. What is the acceleration of the blocks?

Homework Equations

I used a = m2g - m1gsin(theta) / (m1+m2)
I see why that's wrong though, because I didn't use the kinetic friction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, I used the eq above to get
a = (4.66)(9.81) - (5.56)(9.81)sin(21.5) / (5.56+4.66) = 2.52 m/s^2

But I see why that's incorrect, I just don't know the correct method. haha.

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the setup. How are the two blocks related?

Doc Al said:
I don't understand the setup. How are the two blocks related?

just a sec, i'll draw a picture.

2exsb4n.jpg

Sorry that it took me a while to reply, I'm still working on the remaining questions.

kaylanp01 said:
I used a = m2g - m1gsin(theta) / (m1+m2)
I see why that's wrong though, because I didn't use the kinetic friction.
Well then, add the kinetic friction. What's the formula for finding the friction force? What's the normal force?

Doc Al said:
Well then, add the kinetic friction. What's the formula for finding the friction force? What's the normal force?

I have N=f/mu but I don't know F or N. Hah. I'm usually not this terrible at physics, I promise.

To find the normal force, analyze forces on the block perpendicular to the incline surface.

Doc Al said:
To find the normal force, analyze forces on the block perpendicular to the incline surface.

See, that's the part that confuses me, the drawing of the arrows on the diagram. How do you know what direction N is pointing in? Whats mg? Etc.

I'm really not understanding this entire topic.

Related to Block Pulled Up Slope/Coefficient Of Kinetic Friction.

What is the block pulled up slope/coeffecient of kinetic friction?

The block pulled up slope refers to a situation where a block or object is being pulled up a slope or incline. The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces when there is relative motion between them.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. It is represented by the symbol μk.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

How does the slope of the incline affect the block pulled up slope?

The slope of the incline affects the block pulled up slope by increasing the amount of work required to move the block up the slope. This is because the steeper the slope, the greater the force of gravity acting on the block and the greater the normal force between the block and the slope.

What is the significance of the coefficient of kinetic friction in real-world applications?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is an important factor to consider in many real-world applications, such as designing vehicles with proper brakes, ensuring the safety of walking surfaces, and understanding the movement of objects on inclines or slopes. It also plays a role in sports, such as ice skating and skiing, where reducing friction is important for performance.