Maximizing Acceleration and Tension in a Table Block System

In summary, the maximum acceleration of the lower block is 5 m/s² and the maximum acceleration of the upper block is 17.7 m/s².
Lisa...
Could anybody of you be so kind to help me a little bit with understanding what to do in this problem? Thanks in advance for your effort!

A mass m2= 10 kg slides on a frictionless table. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between m2 and m1 = 5 kg are us= 0.6 and uk= 0.4.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6309/tableproblem3tq.th.gif

a) What is the maximum acceleration of m1?

Here I totally don't have a clue of the solution

b) What is the maximum value of m3 if m1 moves with m2 without slipping?

What I've done is the following:

fs= us * Fn = 0.6 * 9.81 * (10+5)= 88.29 N= T= m3 * g
m3= 88.29/9.81= 9 kg.

(I've calculated Fn by thinking of m1 and m2 as one system, but is that correct?)

c) If m3= 30 kg, find the acceleration of each body and the tension in the string.

For m1:
Fres= fk= uk * Fn = 0.4 * m1 * 9.81= 19.62 N
Fres= m1 * a therefore a= 19.62/5= 3.924 m/s^2

For m2:
Fres= T- fk = Fzm3 - fk= m3 * g - uk * m1 * g= 30* 9.81 - 0.4 * 5 * 9.81= 274.68 N
Fres= m2 * a therefore a= 274.68/ 10= 27.47 m/s^2

For m3:
Fres= Fz= m3 * g= 30 * 9.81= 294.3 N
Fres= m3 * a therefore a= 294.3/30= 9.81 m/s^2

Is this ok?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
^^^^^^ Up

a) I think that also in this question they want to know the maximum acceleration so that it dosn't slide of the block, the solution is simular to b.
b) In this case you want the friction between m1 and m2, so to calculate the normal you only use the mass of m1 - because the friction of m1 on m2 depends only on the mass of m1.

daniel_i_l said:
a) I think that also in this question they want to know the maximum acceleration so that it dosn't slide of the block, the solution is simular to b.
b) In this case you want the friction between m1 and m2, so to calculate the normal you only use the mass of m1 - because the friction of m1 on m2 depends only on the mass of m1.

Umm in the book there was an example like this:

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/1462/similarproblem4dz.gif

Here the only thing they said was that the coefficients of the two blocks are us=0.3 and uk=0.2. and again the maximum horizontal force F that can be applied to the 4 kg block if the 2 kg block is not to slip is asked. The answer according to the book is 17.7 N. So I puzzeled to get to know how they got it. It turns out F= fs= 0.3 * 9.81 * (4+2)= 17.7 N... I still don't know why... What you said seems the most logical answer to me... What do you think now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also in this question, the friction only has to do with the mass of the top block, but since before the slip the acceleration of the blocks are equal and you are pulling the bottom block, you need to find the force needed to accelerate both of the blocks, with the amount of acceleration needed to create the right amount of force on the top block in order to be equal to the friction. (I hope that that was clear)

I think it was clear enough... at least this is how I answered a & b:

a) fsmax= us * Fn= us*m*g= 0..6 * 5 *9.81= 79.43 N
F= m*a so F on m1= m1 * atot. Because F on m1 needs to equal fsmax 79,43= 5 * a and therefore a= 79,43/5= 15,886 m/s^2

b) The dragging force is T= Fz3= m3 g.
T= mtot * atot= 15 * 15.886= 238.29 N
m3= 238.29/9.81=24.29 kg

Is this correct? And what about c is that also correct?

It is indeed a bit of a tricky problem...

Lisa, what i meant to say is that in the second problem with the two blocks of 2 and 4 kg, the answer goes like this :

Let us take 10 m/s² for g, ok ?

Friction between the lower and upper block should be equal in magnitude (but opposite in direction) of the force (F) with which we pull.

We have

(4+2)a=F

on the upper block we have

2a = -F' and F' is friction between the two blocks

F' = 0.3 * 10 * 2 = 6 N

2a = 6, thus a = 3

(4+2)3 = F

thus F = 18 N

This is my opinion

marlon

Last edited:

1. What is the "Blocks on a table problem"?

The "Blocks on a table problem" is a classic physics problem that involves a set of blocks of different masses stacked on top of each other on a frictionless table. The goal of the problem is to determine the forces acting on each block and the acceleration of the entire system.

2. What are the key principles involved in solving the "Blocks on a table problem"?

The key principles involved in solving the "Blocks on a table problem" are Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. These laws state that objects at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force, and that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

3. How do you determine the forces acting on each block in the "Blocks on a table problem"?

The forces acting on each block can be determined by drawing a free-body diagram for each block. This diagram will show all the forces acting on the block, including the weight (due to gravity), normal force (from the table), and any other external forces.

4. What is the role of friction in the "Blocks on a table problem"?

In the classic "Blocks on a table problem", friction is usually assumed to be negligible. This means that the table is considered to be frictionless, and the only forces acting on the blocks are the weight and normal force. However, in real-world scenarios, friction can play a significant role in the behavior of the blocks and must be taken into account in the problem-solving process.

5. What is the importance of solving the "Blocks on a table problem"?

The "Blocks on a table problem" is not only a common physics problem, but it also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. By applying Newton's laws and drawing free-body diagrams, students can learn to analyze complex systems and understand the forces at play. This problem also has practical applications in real-world scenarios, such as calculating the forces on a stack of books or determining the stability of a structure.