1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Body suspended from a linear spring

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When a body is suspended from a fixed point by a certain linear spring, the angular frequency of the vertical oscillations is found to be [tex]\Omega[/tex]1. When a different linear spring is used, the oscillations have angular frequency . [tex]\Omega[/tex]2. Find the angular frequency of vertical oscillations when two springs are used together in parallel.

Here is a link to the problem that provides hints to the problem: http://courses.ncsu.edu/py411/lec/001/: Go to the Homework section of the webpage, then go to assignment 5, then go to problem 5.2.

2. Relevant equations

F=k*eff*[tex]\Delta[/tex] x

3. The attempt at a solution

The hint to the problem says I need to calculate restoring force for each cases.

For the parallel case, would each of the two springs exert a contact force on each other since both bodies would be attached to two different springs?

For the series case, both bodies would be in line with each other; would body would behind or in front of the other body, while sharing an attached spring; therefore I know that there is definetely

[tex]\sqrt{k*(1)/(m)}[/tex]=[tex]\Omega[/tex]1 ==>

F1= ([tex]\Omega[/tex]1^2)*m*[tex]\Delta[/tex] x
    F2= ([tex]\Omega[/tex]2^2)*m*([tex]\Delta[/tex] x)

Not sure what my next step should be after that
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2
    anyone have a hard time reading my post?
  4. Sep 30, 2008 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the springs are attached in parallel, then the total restoring force is just [itex]F=F_1+F_2=k_{eff}\Delta x[/tex]. So what does that make [itex]k_{eff}[/itex]? How about [itex]\Omega_{eff}[/itex]?

P.S. subscripts and superscripts in LaTeX are just A_{whatever} and A^{whatever}
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?