Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Body suspended from a linear spring

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When a body is suspended from a fixed point by a certain linear spring, the angular frequency of the vertical oscillations is found to be [tex]\Omega[/tex]1. When a different linear spring is used, the oscillations have angular frequency . [tex]\Omega[/tex]2. Find the angular frequency of vertical oscillations when two springs are used together in parallel.

Here is a link to the problem that provides hints to the problem: http://courses.ncsu.edu/py411/lec/001/: [Broken] Go to the Homework section of the webpage, then go to assignment 5, then go to problem 5.2.

2. Relevant equations

F=k*eff*[tex]\Delta[/tex] x
    [tex]\sqrt{k*eff/m}[/tex]=[tex]\Omega[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The hint to the problem says I need to calculate restoring force for each cases.

For the parallel case, would each of the two springs exert a contact force on each other since both bodies would be attached to two different springs?

For the series case, both bodies would be in line with each other; would body would behind or in front of the other body, while sharing an attached spring; therefore I know that there is definetely

[tex]\sqrt{k*(1)/(m)}[/tex]=[tex]\Omega[/tex]1 ==>

[tex]\Omega[/tex]1^2=[tex]k*1/m}[/tex]
    [tex]\Omega[/tex]2^2=[tex]k*2/m}[/tex]

F1= ([tex]\Omega[/tex]1^2)*m*[tex]\Delta[/tex] x
    F2= ([tex]\Omega[/tex]2^2)*m*([tex]\Delta[/tex] x)

Not sure what my next step should be after that

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2
    anyone have a hard time reading my post?

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the springs are attached in parallel, then the total restoring force is just [itex]F=F_1+F_2=k_{eff}\Delta x[/tex]. So what does that make [itex]k_{eff}[/itex]? How about [itex]\Omega_{eff}[/itex]?

P.S. subscripts and superscripts in LaTeX are just A_{whatever} and A^{whatever}

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook