Visible Light Transitions in Li++ (Z=3)

In summary, the conversation discusses the visible transitions in hydrogenic lithium ions and compares them to those in hydrogen. The formula E=13.6eV*(Z^2)*((1/n)^2-(1/m)^2) and λ=1240/E are mentioned as tools for calculating the transitions. The individual is struggling with getting the correct wavelengths and a link to a calculator on a website is provided as a helpful resource.
ChiefKeeper92
1. Assuming that the wavelengths of visible light lie between about 300nm and 700nm, what transitions in Li++ (hydrogenic lithium ions, Z=3) would be visible. Identify each transition by initial and final principal quantum number n. Also identify those transitions that are also seen in hydrogen (3->2, 4->2, 5->2 in hydrogen)

2. E=13.6eV*(Z^2)*((1/n)^2-(1/m)^2)
λ=1240/E

3. I ran through it but I keep getting the same wavelengths as hydrogen. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Do I multiply n*Z on the bottom before I square it?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is meant by "Visible Light Transitions" in Li++ (Z=3)?

Visible Light Transitions refer to the movement or transition of electrons within the lithium ion (Li++) at an atomic level. This movement causes a change in energy levels, resulting in the emission of visible light.

2. How does Li++ (Z=3) produce visible light?

Li++ (Z=3) produces visible light through a process called electron transition. When an electron within the ion moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it releases energy in the form of photons, which are particles of light that fall within the visible range of the electromagnetic spectrum.

3. What is the significance of studying visible light transitions in Li++ (Z=3)?

Understanding visible light transitions in Li++ (Z=3) can provide valuable insights into the behavior of atoms and their interactions with light. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, such as materials science, energy production, and telecommunications.

4. What factors affect the visible light transitions in Li++ (Z=3)?

The visible light transitions in Li++ (Z=3) can be influenced by a few factors, such as the energy levels of the electrons, the strength of the electric field, and the presence of other elements or ions. These factors can alter the energy levels of the electrons and affect the wavelength and intensity of the emitted light.

5. Can visible light transitions in Li++ (Z=3) be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, visible light transitions in Li++ (Z=3) can be controlled and manipulated through external factors such as electric and magnetic fields. By altering these factors, scientists can influence the energy levels of the electrons within the ion and change the resulting visible light emission. This can have practical applications in fields such as optoelectronics and quantum computing.