1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bohr's model of hydrogen like atoms question.

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A neutron moving with speed v makes head on collision with a hydrogen atom in ground state kept at rest. Find the minimum Kinetic energy of the neutron for which inelastic(completely of partially) collision may take. (mass of neutron=mass of hydrogen=~1.67*10-27)

2. Relevant equations

Bohr's model of hydrogen atom.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I didn't know even how to proceed??
    can u please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi vkash,

How can be the collision between neutron and hydrogen atom inelastic? what happens to the KE of the neutron?

ehild

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3
    I think according to question collision is similar as it happen when bullet is fired on a block after firing block and bullet move together. Here it might attack on hydrogen atom to form deuterium??
    See attachment for it's solution. I want to understand what happened in the solution??
    Little bad quality. But try to manage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  5. Feb 11, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you imagine some other reaction during collision than making a deuteron? Think of the electron of the hydrogen atom. By the way, the problem says that the hydrogen atom is kept in rest.

ehild

6. Feb 11, 2012 #5
    Doesn't got the point.
    Electron can neither attract neutron nor repel so how can i calculate the work.
    I think any velocity can do inelastic collision. How velocity can tell us that either collision is elastic or inelastic?????

7. Feb 11, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The neutron can kick out the electron from its ground level and rise to a next one.

ehild

8. Feb 12, 2012 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Consider why momentum is always conserved but kinetic energy isn't in a collision. With momentum, there's no way to "hide" it inside the object. If an object of mass m has momentum p, it has to move with speed v=p/m. Energy, however, can be hidden inside the object, for example, by heating it up, so energy gained by an object doesn't have to be in the form of kinetic energy. When some of the initial kinetic energy gets turned into this hidden form, you get an inelastic collision.

This is what ehild is trying to get you to figure out. How can the atom "store" energy so that the collision ends up being inelastic?

9. Feb 12, 2012 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As the title says Bohr Model, the problem has to be connected to the Bohr Model of electron orbitals and energy....

ehild

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook