Boil water at higher pressure vs. energy consumption

In summary: You two are people after my own heart. :tongue2:In summary, it is possible to get the water to the right temperature with less energy if you raise the pressure. However, this would also result in the loss of more heat.
ritchard
(I know that it's easier to get water to boil att lower pressure...)

The goal is to get the water to an temperature of 100 degress celsius in the most effective way.
Then If you raise the pressure(with a pump), is it possible to get the water to the right temperature with less energy?!?
AND you disregard the energy to raise the pressure!

/rikard

Physics news on Phys.org
The heat required for temperature change in a system is given as:

[tex]
Q = mC\Delta T
[/tex]

As such,

[tex]
Q \propto \Delta T
[/tex] (C shows very small variation with T)

Therefore, a certain amount of heat MUST be provided if the temperature is to be changed by a certain value. Hence, no matter what method you use, the energy required will be exactly the same.

This is the case in theory. In practice, conservation of energy still applies, but it'd be more efficient to heat the liquid using a fuel burner than to increase the pressure, because for pressure systems, energy losses [here 'energy' means 'usable energy', or the useful energy that can be used to do work in the desired way] are comparatively high as compared to an efficient burner using a good fuel.

Last edited:
Okey, yes heat would be added anyway, not only pressure to achieve the right temperature.
Would higher pressure result in that less heat can be provided to the water and still get it to the right temperature?

Would it go faster to heat water in pressure?

(We could say that the pump is driven by an human, so it wouldn't use any of the energy that could/would be use to get the water to the right temperature)

/rikard

At normal pressures, i.e., the kind you might achieve with a pump, the specific heat of water may be considered a constant. Thus, you would use almost the same amount of heat and require almost the same amount of time whether you are heating with a loose fitting lid or a pressure cooker lid.

You would have to apply enough pressure to noticeably compress the water before you would also see differences in the specific heat.

You may be thinking of the fact that you can cook foods faster in a pressure cooker than in atmospheric pressure, but that is due to the elevated boiling temperature in the elevated pressure.

TVP45 said:
You may be thinking of the fact that you can cook foods faster in a pressure cooker than in atmospheric pressure, but that is due to the elevated boiling temperature in the elevated pressure.

To amplify just a bit, the elevated boiling point not only keeps the water liquid, but makes the reaction rate of cooking much faster due to the higher temp, thus saving energy. It doesn't loose heat quickly, and continues to cook for quite some time even after the heating source has been switched off. That's why you get the best results if you don't open the lid too quickly.

Shooting star said:
To amplify just a bit, the elevated boiling point not only keeps the water liquid, but makes the reaction rate of cooking much faster due to the higher temp, thus saving energy. It doesn't loose heat quickly, and continues to cook for quite some time even after the heating source has been switched off. That's why you get the best results if you don't open the lid too quickly.

And, from experience, you get quite a reaction if you open the lid quickly!

That is right.

Actually, you just cannot open them due to friction until the pressure has fallen below a dangerous limit. Of course, I haven't tried to force it open with a wrench or something. But I've read about this point in ads. And whenever I've tried it a bit too early out of impatience, oh yes, I found out about the latent heat of condensation. Should NOT be tried. :eek:

There is very little that is both stupid and dangerous that I haven't tried at least once.

TVP45 said:
And, from experience, you get quite a reaction if you open the lid quickly!

As was stated, the pressure has to reduce, but you can still put your potatoes "on the ceiling" :eek:
Talking while absentmindedly fiddeling with the handles, there is a time when the lid will slide on the gasket, even though there is pressure in the pot.

TVP45 said:
There is very little that is both stupid and dangerous that I haven't tried at least once.

RonL said:
As was stated, the pressure has to reduce, but you can still put your potatoes "on the ceiling" :eek:
Talking while absentmindedly fiddeling with the handles, there is a time when the lid will slide on the gasket, even though there is pressure in the pot.

You two are people after my own heart. :tongue2:

Umm... I think your missing something fundamental here. The whole reason water is easier to boil at a lower atmospheric pressure is that it boils at a lower temperature. once the vapour pressure of a liquid becomes equal or higher than the atmospheric pressure, it will boil. I've done work on fuel pumps where this happens at room temp due to the suction pressure sometimes involved. Its the root of all cavitation problems... but that's another story.

robsmith82 said:
I've done work on fuel pumps where this happens at room temp due to the suction pressure sometimes involved. Its the root of all cavitation problems... but that's another story.

I had wondered why boat props underwater had this problem under certain conditions, never gave it much thought, i always assumed air was being drawn in somehow:rolleyes:
Low pressure near the hub would develop a gas pocket, would this be correct ?

1. How does boiling water at higher pressure affect energy consumption?

Boiling water at higher pressure requires more energy than boiling water at atmospheric pressure. This is because the increased pressure raises the boiling point of water, making it more difficult for the water molecules to escape and turn into steam. As a result, more energy is needed to overcome the stronger intermolecular forces and reach the boiling point.

2. Why is it important to consider energy consumption when boiling water at higher pressure?

Considering energy consumption when boiling water at higher pressure is important because it can impact the cost and efficiency of the process. The more energy that is required, the more expensive and inefficient the process becomes. This is especially important in industrial settings where large quantities of water are boiled at high pressures.

3. How does the type of fuel used affect the energy consumption of boiling water at higher pressure?

The type of fuel used can have a significant impact on the energy consumption of boiling water at higher pressure. Different fuels have different energy densities, so some may require more or less fuel to achieve the same result. Additionally, the efficiency of the fuel source can also play a role in energy consumption.

4. Is there a limit to how high of a pressure can be used to boil water?

Yes, there is a limit to how high of a pressure can be used to boil water. This is because at a certain point, the pressure becomes too great and the water molecules are unable to escape and turn into steam. This is known as the critical pressure and it varies depending on factors such as temperature and altitude.

5. Are there any other factors besides pressure that can affect the energy consumption of boiling water?

Yes, there are other factors besides pressure that can affect the energy consumption of boiling water. These include the temperature of the water, the type of container used, and any impurities or dissolved substances in the water. These factors can impact the boiling point of water and therefore affect the amount of energy needed to reach it.