Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bond length = Bond strength ?

1. Jul 10, 2005 #1
    Bond length, Bond strength, relationship ?

Is this always true ? And why? My answer to this question would be, having larger electron density between two nuclei, thus attraction, allows them to position more closely.

But somehow I think that there could be some exceptions of this rule, maybe in molecules of heavy atoms with many subvalece orbital not allowing them to be at close range, but still having strong bonds with good overlap.

Or, if this rule is absolutely and always true, I would say that bond strength decrease as atomic number increases (throughout period system), and molecules of atoms with larger number of orbital and electrons are less stabile.

edit:i've fixed the title
    ... :) well i've tried

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2005 #2

movies

Science Advisor

No, this is not always the case. Take for example F2 and Cl2; the bond lengths are 142 and 199 pm, respectively. The bond energies, however, are 158 and 243 kJ, respectively.

Another example (where one atom is kept constant) would be a C-N and a C-Cl bond. The C-N bond is 147 pm, the C-Cl, 177 pm. The energies are 308 and 330 kJ, respectively.

Data are from here.

4. Jul 10, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For anyone that is confused by the title, I'm quite sure the OP is talking about the usual inverse relationship between bond-length and bond strength.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?