P=NP: New Proof in Book from World Scientific

• A
  • Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the book "P vs NP: The Golden Ticket" presents a new proof for the equality of the complexity classes "P" and "NP." This proof may involve additional means such as oracles or quantum computing. The previous proof for this problem was considered uninteresting.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Probably not worth a second of thought. (My thought.)

Edit: Or to quote Carl Sagan: Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence.

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier and S.G. Janssens
Well that extraordinary evidence is behind a $100 paywall

I will wait until 2018 for the next Fields award instead. Seems to be cheaper. To me it is like those headlines nowadays: you get hooked, and if you have a closer look, it results in bare disappointment and anger about the wasted time. I can't imagine such a result in a textbook without any earthquakes far ahead of it. Even Wiles created tsunamis although his proof was understood by at most a dozen people at the time. (Not sure whether this has significantly changed.)

If I remember correctly, then NP can be done in polynomial time if one allows additional means like oracles or something. My bet would be, that the author(s)' arguments go along with such extensions, e.g. quantum computing or restrictions to incomplete NP problems. There has been a theorem on graph isomorphisms recently which pointed in a similar direction, of course without solving NP = P.

Last edited:
Dragonfall said:
The book offers a new proof of the equality of the complexity classes "P" and "NP"
It sounds nice. The old proof was rather dull.

Likes Demystifier, Ibix and fresh_42

What is P=NP?

P=NP is a famous mathematical problem that asks whether every problem with a "Yes" or "No" answer can be solved quickly by a computer.

What is the significance of a new proof for P=NP?

A new proof for P=NP would be groundbreaking in the world of computer science, as it would provide a solution to a problem that has puzzled scientists for decades. It would also have significant implications for cryptography and other fields that rely on efficient algorithms.

Who discovered the new proof for P=NP?

The new proof for P=NP was discovered by Vinay Deolalikar, a computer scientist and researcher at HP Labs. However, the proof has not been fully accepted by the scientific community and has been subject to much controversy and scrutiny.

What is World Scientific?

World Scientific is an international academic publisher that specializes in scientific, technical, and medical books and journals. They have published a book containing the new proof for P=NP by Vinay Deolalikar.

How can I access the book with the new proof for P=NP?

The book with the new proof for P=NP can be purchased from World Scientific's website or from other online retailers. It is also available in some libraries and academic institutions. However, please note that the proof has not been fully accepted by the scientific community and its validity is still being debated.