1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book Recommendation

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I need two book recommendations for each of the following, one classical (i.e. covers the subject in detail, more like a reference, and influential if such book exists) and one as a quick study material.

The topics:-

1) Algebra
    2) Geometry
    3) Trigonometry
    4) Calculus

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

For Precalculus (that is, the stuff before Calculus):
    One recommendation that I've seen here is Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang (ignore the book cover graphic - it's wrong), which would cover the basics of algebra, geometry and trigonometry. (However, I've also read of one dissenting opinion about this book.)

Another recommendation I've read about here is Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer & Oakey.

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3
    A series I really liked is the Gelfand high school mathematics collection: Algebra by Gelfand and Shen, Trigonometry by gelfand and Saul. They're challenging and rewarding books, you can't go wrong at the price they're at.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook