• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Classical Books about Waves

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date

dRic2

Gold Member
Hi, I'm looking for a book that deals with the mathematics and the physics of waves (sound waves, electromagnetic waves, maybe optics). Basically just "classical waves" (I'm not very interested right know in the applications to quantum mechanics). My math background is (courses that I took):
real analysis
(introduction to) complex analysis
linear algebra
PDE (never had a formal course but I'm quite good in solving standard PDE with "decent" boundary conditions)
(introduction to) functional analysis
I'm looking for a book that deals with the basics but also offers insight on the matter. I prefer an "intuitive"/physical approach, but I don't dislike mathematical rigor.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Last edited:

berkeman

Mentor
Okay, that's weird. Definitely buy the $5.29 hardcover. Buying the $678.08 Paperback would appear to be a bad shopping decision...

WTH?

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
Okay, that's weird. Definitely buy the $5.29 hardcover. Buying the $678.08 Paperback would appear to be a bad shopping decision...

WTH?
Such a huge price difference! A new hard cover book is $87.14 << paperback. Why is the latter so costly?

berkeman

Mentor
Most likely just typos. LOL

Waves, Berkeley Series Vol III by Crawford I used as a sophomore
There is a book Waves Physics by Stephen Nettle that may also be good but I think this is more deep.
I think the honors class as Sophomores may have used this one, but I think it is higher level.

dRic2

Gold Member
What do you think about "Almost all about waves" by J.R. Pierce?

dRic2

Gold Member
Thanks!