• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Books for self-taught physics

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am attempting to get back into the academic world of physics. I have my associates degree and cannot continue taking classes with financial aid through my local community college. It wont be until the fall semester until I can attend a university so for now I would like to learn on my own.

I know up to calculus II (I dropped near the end of the semester so I dont know all of calc II) and will be continuing to review and expand that knowledge concurrently. I just need to be pointed in the right direction with concern to good physics books. Also I would like to get a jump start on organic chemistry so beginner book options in that area would be appreciated.

Answers and Replies

Go here:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/ocw-scholar/

That page has calculus and physics classes especially designed for self-study. Look around the rest of the OCW site for a ton of classes in all fields. Some are more useful than others, but many have complete lectures on video, class notes, homework and tests with answers, etc. It's just an amazing resource, and if you put in the work, you can give yourself an MIT education. All for free.