Where Can I Find Free, Self-Study Resources for Physics and Organic Chemistry?

In summary, the person is looking to continue their education in physics but is unable to do so through their community college. They have some knowledge in calculus and are planning to review and expand upon it on their own. They are seeking recommendations for good physics and organic chemistry books. Another person recommends checking out MIT's OpenCourseWare website for self-study courses in various fields, including physics and calculus.
efekwulsemmay
I am attempting to get back into the academic world of physics. I have my associates degree and cannot continue taking classes with financial aid through my local community college. It won't be until the fall semester until I can attend a university so for now I would like to learn on my own.

I know up to calculus II (I dropped near the end of the semester so I don't know all of calc II) and will be continuing to review and expand that knowledge concurrently. I just need to be pointed in the right direction with concern to good physics books. Also I would like to get a jump start on organic chemistry so beginner book options in that area would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go here:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/ocw-scholar/

That page has calculus and physics classes especially designed for self-study. Look around the rest of the OCW site for a ton of classes in all fields. Some are more useful than others, but many have complete lectures on video, class notes, homework and tests with answers, etc. It's just an amazing resource, and if you put in the work, you can give yourself an MIT education. All for free.

1. What is the best book for self-taught physics?

The best book for self-taught physics will depend on your personal learning style and level of understanding. Some popular options include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman.

2. Can I learn physics without a formal education or degree?

Yes, it is possible to learn physics without a formal education or degree. However, it may require more dedication, self-discipline, and independent study. Utilizing textbooks, online resources, and joining physics communities can help in the learning process.

3. How do I know if I am understanding the concepts correctly?

One way to check your understanding is by solving practice problems and seeking feedback from experienced physicists or educators. It is also important to regularly review and reinforce concepts to ensure a solid understanding.

4. Are there any online resources for self-taught physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for self-taught physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and various YouTube channels such as "MinutePhysics" and "Veritasium."

5. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to learn physics?

A strong math background is beneficial in understanding and applying physics concepts. However, it is possible to learn the basics of physics without advanced math skills. It may require extra effort and practice, but many resources offer simplified explanations of mathematical concepts in physics.