Boolean Algebra: Can't prove that ô.e+ô.ê+o.e=ô+e (the accent means negation).

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof in Boolean algebra that shows ô.e+ô.ê+o.e=ô+e for all o and e in B. The proof utilizes various Boolean algebra laws such as the Double Complement law, Idempotent law, Identity law, Domination law, Commutative law, Associative law, Distributive law, De Morgan's law, Absorption law, Unit property, and Zero property. The final solution is ô.e+ô.ê+o.e=ô+(e+ê)=ô+1 (by unit property)=ô (by zero property).
haiku11
Consider a Boolean algebra (B,+,.,negation symbol). 0 is the zero element and 1 is the unit element. + has the lowest precedence and negation has the highest. Show that ô.e+ô.ê+o.e=ô+e for all o and e in B.

This isn't a logic gate algebra because that'd be easy, so I can't use the values 0s and 1s to prove this. I can only use the Boolean algebra laws:
Double Complement law
Idempotent law
Identity law
Domination law
Commutative law
Associative law
Distributive law
De Morgan's law
Absorption law
Unit property
Zero property

This is one of my attempts and I got pretty close but still pretty close isn't the answer.
PHP:
 ô.e+ô.ê+o.e
=ô.(e+ê)+o.e      cause of distributive law
=ô.1+o.e       cause of unit property
=ô.o+ô+o.e      1=o+ô cause of unit property, I'm unsure as to whether o+ô should be in brackets but I assumed not
=0+ô+o.e      cause of zero property
=o.ô+ô+o.e      0=o.ôcause of zero property
=o.ô+o.e+ô        cause of commutative property
=o.(ô+e)+ô        cause of distributive property
I didn't know what to do at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated. The answer is: ô.e+ô.ê+o.e=ô+(e+ê)=ô+1 (by unit property)=ô (by zero property)

1. What is Boolean Algebra?

Boolean Algebra is a branch of mathematics and logic that deals with the operations and expressions involving two values, typically represented as true (1) or false (0). It is used to analyze and simplify logical expressions, as well as to design and analyze digital circuits.

2. What is the meaning of "ô" and "e" in Boolean Algebra?

In Boolean Algebra, "ô" represents negation or logical complement, and "e" represents logical AND. The accent on top of the letters indicates that they are negated. So, "ô.e" means "not e" or "e is false".

3. What does the expression "ô.e+ô.ê+o.e=ô+e" mean?

This expression is a Boolean equation that represents a logical statement. It states that the logical complement of e ANDed with e, OR the logical complement of e ANDed with the logical complement of e, OR o ANDed with e, is equivalent to the logical complement of e OR e. In other words, it represents the logical statement "either e is false, or o is true".

4. Can you prove that this Boolean equation is true?

Yes, this Boolean equation can be proven to be true using the laws and principles of Boolean Algebra. For example, the distributive law states that A(B+C) = AB+AC. Using this law, we can simplify the left side of the equation to ô.e+ô.ê+o.e = ô(e+ê)+o.e = ô+o.e. Then, using the absorption law which states that A+AB = A, we can further simplify to ô+o.e = ô+e.

5. How is Boolean Algebra used in real life?

Boolean Algebra has many practical applications in computer science, electronics, and digital design. It is used to design and analyze digital circuits, create logical expressions and algorithms, and solve complex problems in various fields. It is also used in programming languages and databases to represent and manipulate data using logic and Boolean operations.