How Can You Build a Majority Vote Counting Machine Using Only NAND Gates?

In summary, the problem is to build a vote counting machine using NAND, AND, OR, and NOR gates. The solution involves using the equation ABC + ABD + ACD + BCD (where ABCD are the 4 input votes) and two OR gates. The challenge is to simplify the circuit using only NAND gates. The initial truth table and logic implementation have not been provided.
daskywalker

Homework Statement

Using NAND, AND OR, &/or NOR gates build a vote counting machine. It should light an LED when majority votes are true (or answer "yes"). Assume 4 input votes only.

Homework Equations

Boolean Logic

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know the solution in terms of algebra, which is ABC + ABD + ACD + BCD (where ABCD are the 4 input votes) and I know at the end I need two OR gates summing up to one single OR gate. Not sure how to design the beginning though.

I am also looking for a way to simplify it since I have to build the whole thing out of NAND gates only.

Physics news on Phys.org
daskywalker said:

Homework Statement

Using NAND, AND OR, &/or NOR gates build a vote counting machine. It should light an LED when majority votes are true (or answer "yes"). Assume 4 input votes only.

Homework Equations

Boolean Logic

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know the solution in terms of algebra, which is ABC + ABD + ACD + BCD (where ABCD are the 4 input votes) and I know at the end I need two OR gates summing up to one single OR gate. Not sure how to design the beginning though.

I am also looking for a way to simplify it since I have to build the whole thing out of NAND gates only.

Your problem statement doesn't confine you to 2-input gates. It only takes two levels of logic to do it with AND-OR logic, right?

Are you constrained to only using 2-input NANDs for the final circuit? How do you make an OR out of a NAND? Have you looked at the inverted function in case it offers some optimization? Please show us more work...

Yeah we can have 4 inputs, but I am still not sure about you saying using the two level AND-OR logic.
I know how to construct the different kind of gates from NAND gates now, just need a clear concept how to solve this problem.

daskywalker said:
Yeah we can have 4 inputs, but I am still not sure about you saying using the two level AND-OR logic.
I know how to construct the different kind of gates from NAND gates now, just need a clear concept how to solve this problem.

Show us your initial truth table and initial logic implementation.

I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller parts and then combining them to create the final solution.

First, you can start by creating the basic logic for each individual vote. For example, using NAND gates, you can create a circuit that outputs a "yes" only when both A and B inputs are true.

Next, you can combine these individual logic circuits using AND gates to create a circuit that outputs a "yes" only when all four votes are true.

To simplify the circuit and use only NAND gates, you can use De Morgan's laws to convert the AND gates into NAND gates. This will help reduce the number of gates needed and make the circuit more efficient.

Finally, you can use an OR gate to combine the outputs of the individual vote circuits and the final AND gate circuit. This will result in an LED being lit when the majority of votes are true.

In summary, the solution using only NAND gates would involve breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using De Morgan's laws to simplify the circuit, and then combining the individual circuits to create the final vote counting machine.

1. What is Boolean Logic design?

Boolean Logic design is a method of creating logical expressions using the operators AND, OR, and NOT to represent true and false values. It is commonly used in computer programming and digital circuit design.

2. How is Boolean Logic used in computer programming?

In computer programming, Boolean Logic is used to make decisions and control program flow by evaluating conditions and determining whether they are true or false. This allows for more complex and flexible programming.

3. What are the basic Boolean operators?

The basic Boolean operators are AND, OR, and NOT. AND returns true only if both operands are true, OR returns true if either operand is true, and NOT returns the opposite of the operand's value.

4. What are some applications of Boolean Logic in real life?

Boolean Logic is used in many applications such as search engines, where Boolean operators are used to refine and filter search results. It is also used in electronic devices and systems, such as traffic lights and security systems, to control and make decisions based on input.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Boolean Logic design?

To improve your understanding of Boolean Logic design, you can practice creating logical expressions using different operators and operands. You can also study and learn about truth tables, De Morgan's Laws, and other concepts related to Boolean Logic. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or taking a course in logic design can be helpful.