Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Boolean Logic design help

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using NAND, AND OR, &/or NOR gates build a vote counting machine. It should light an LED when majority votes are true (or answer "yes"). Assume 4 input votes only.

2. Relevant equations

Boolean Logic

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know the solution in terms of algebra, which is ABC + ABD + ACD + BCD (where ABCD are the 4 input votes) and I know at the end I need two OR gates summing up to one single OR gate. Not sure how to design the beginning though.

I am also looking for a way to simplify it since I have to build the whole thing out of NAND gates only.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your problem statement doesn't confine you to 2-input gates. It only takes two levels of logic to do it with AND-OR logic, right?

Are you constrained to only using 2-input NANDs for the final circuit? How do you make an OR out of a NAND? Have you looked at the inverted function in case it offers some optimization? Please show us more work...

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    Yeah we can have 4 inputs, but I am still not sure about you saying using the two level AND-OR logic.
    I know how to construct the different kind of gates from NAND gates now, just need a clear concept how to solve this problem.

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Show us your initial truth table and initial logic implementation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook