Bound states of an electron trapped in a dipole field

In summary, Alhaidari and company are currently studying the problem of bound states of an electron trapped in a dipole field. They are using the point dipole approximation in their calculations, but it is not clear why this is necessary. The speaker suggests that a more accurate expression for potential energy should be used in systems with two oppositely charged immovable centers. However, it is likely that the use of a point dipole is necessary in order to obtain an analytical solution. This is considered an interesting toy problem, but it is not commonly used in modeling actual molecules.
reterty
The problem of bound states of an electron trapped in a dipole field is being studied by Alhaidari and company. (See, for example, https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0707/0707.3510.pdf). It is not clear to me why the point dipole approximation is used everywhere in such calculations. Can't an electron in such a system be localized at distances of the order of a dipole size, where it is necessary to honestly, without Taylor, take an expression for the potential energy of a system of two oppositely charged immovable centers?

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that using a point dipole is the only way to get an analytical solution. It is an interesting toy problem, but I don't think anybody uses such a model for actual molecules.

Likes Vanadium 50 and vanhees71