Boundaries of a triple integral

In summary, the boundaries of the interior of a cylinder are -1< x < 1, -Sqrt[1-y^2] < y < Sqrt[1-y^2], and 1 < z < 1. However, all of the boundaries are in the form of the integral between plus or minus (a). When integrating xyz, the boundary between y and -y is not important, and the boundary between x and -x is not important. If you integrate with these bounds in cylindrical coordinates, then you should use polar coordinates.
chinye11

Homework Statement

Let D = { (x,y,z) } such that x^2 + y^2 < 1 and -1 < z < 1 } denote the interior of a cylinder. Compute the triple integral of ( xyz dxdydz )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so it seems to me that the boundaries should be as follows,

-1< x < 1
-Sqrt [1 - y^2] < y < Sqrt [1 - y^2]
-1 < z < 1

However all the boundaries above are in the form of the integral between plus or minus (a)

Now when I perform an integral on xyz i find that the since the a and -a are squared then their respective results are taken from each other you get zero regardless of order.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some comments that I think will help: -Sqrt [1 - y^2] and Sqrt [1 - y^2] are in terms of x, so if you were integrating with these bounds you would be integrating with respect to x, not y. If you had an equation and you integrated it from -Sqrt{1-y^2] to Sqrt[1-y^2], you would end up with a function of y, which is not what you want. I might be unclear, but does that make sense? You should try using polar coordinates when you're integrating along x and y; since you're integrating over a circle.

chinye11 said:

Homework Statement

Let D = { (x,y,z) } such that x^2 + y^2 < 1 and -1 < z < 1 } denote the interior of a cylinder. Compute the triple integral of ( xyz dxdydz )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so it seems to me that the boundaries should be as follows,

-1< x < 1
-Sqrt [1 - y^2] < y < Sqrt [1 - y^2]
-1 < z < 1

However all the boundaries above are in the form of the integral between plus or minus (a)

Now when I perform an integral on xyz i find that the since the a and -a are squared then their respective results are taken from each other you get zero regardless of order.
If you want to integrate in that order then notice that if x^2 + y^2 < 1, then [itex]\displaystyle -\sqrt{1-x^2}<y<\sqrt{1-x^2}\,.[/itex]

The boundaries of D will be easier to determine in cylindrical coordinates. But you would need to express xyz in terms of r, θ, and z , although that's not too difficult.

yeah sorry that was a typo, so if I integrate through z then y then x, should i get the result of 1/6, I'm new to this and have no way to check the answer.

That's not what I got. Could you show your work?

1. What is the purpose of setting boundaries for a triple integral?

The boundaries of a triple integral define the region in 3D space over which the integration is performed. This allows us to calculate the volume, surface area, and other properties of a three-dimensional object or space.

2. How do you determine the boundaries for a triple integral?

The boundaries for a triple integral are determined by the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, z). These limits are typically defined by the boundaries of the region in 3D space and can be found by graphing the region or using other mathematical techniques.

3. Can the boundaries of a triple integral change?

Yes, the boundaries of a triple integral can change depending on the region being integrated over. For example, if the region is a sphere, the boundaries may be defined in terms of spherical coordinates. It is important to carefully consider the boundaries when setting up a triple integral to ensure an accurate calculation.

4. What happens if the boundaries of a triple integral are set incorrectly?

If the boundaries of a triple integral are set incorrectly, the resulting calculation will be incorrect. This is because the boundaries define the region over which the integration is performed, and an incorrect region will lead to an incorrect result.

5. Are there any limitations to setting boundaries for a triple integral?

Yes, there are some limitations to setting boundaries for a triple integral. The boundaries must be continuous and non-overlapping, and the region being integrated over must be bounded. Additionally, the boundaries must be defined in terms of the variables being integrated over (x, y, z) and cannot include any other variables or parameters.