1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary Value Problem + Green's Function

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1
    Boundary Value Problem + Green's Function
    Consider the BVP

y''+4y=e^x
    y(0)=0
    y'(1)=0

Find the Green's function for this problem.

I am completely lost can someone help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2010 #2
    I am no expert, this looks like just an ODE problem where you only have one independent variable x:

1) Solve the associate homogeneous problem [itex]y''+4y=0[/itex] which is a second degree DE with constant coef.

2) Then use variation of parameter to get the particular solution.

3) [tex]y=y_c + y_p[/tex]

4) Then use boundary condition to find the constant.

Just my 2 cents

4. Aug 2, 2010 #3
    yea but for a boundary condition should you have y(0) = c1 & y(t) = c2 , instead of y'(t) = c2

5. Aug 3, 2010 #4
    I have not work through the problem, I am studying Green's function and that's the reason I look at this post.

I don't see from [itex]y''+4y=e^x[/tex] that it is even multi variables. Only independent variable is x. From my understanding, Green's function only deal with multi-variables. This is a simple 2nd degree non-homogeneous ODE with constant coef. with boundary condition.

6. Aug 3, 2010 #5
    Hi. I'm not very familiar with Green's functions, but let me suggest a direction I think you need to go:

Consider the linear differential equation (of one variable):

[tex]Ly=f[/tex]

where the L is the differential operator like in your case, it's [itex]L=\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+4[/itex]. Then we can show the solution can be written in terms of a Green's function as:

[tex]y(x)=\int G(x,u)f(u)du[/tex]

where:

[tex]G(x,u)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\phi_n(x)\phi_n^{*}(u)}{\lambda_n}[/tex]

where [itex]\phi_n[/itex] is a orthonormal set of eigenfunctions for the operator L, that is, normalized solutions to the equation:

[tex]y''+4y=\lambda_n y[/tex]

subject to the given boundary conditions. So, just need to find those huh? Also, keep in mind the conjugate ([itex]\phi^{*}[/itex]) of a real-valued function is just the function.

See: "Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics" by F. Byron and R. Fuller. Whole chapter on Green's functions.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  7. Aug 3, 2010 #6
    I suggest taking a look at "Mathematical Physics" by Hassani or alternatively "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Arfken. Both have well developed sections on the use of Green's functions in solving ODEs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook