1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bowl Balanced on a Bowl

1. Oct 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid hemisphere of radius b has its flat surface glued to a horizontal table. A second solid hemisphere of different radius a rests on top of the first one so that the curved surfaces are in contact. The surfaces of the hemispheres are rough (meaning that no slipping occurs between them) and both hemispheres have uniform mass distributions. The two objects are in equilibrium when the top one is "upside down", i.e. with its flat surface parallel to the table but above it. Show that this equilibrium position is stable if a < 3b / 5 .

2. Relevant equations
    U=mgh
    v=ωr
    CM of a solid hemisphere is 3r/8

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I am supposed to do this problem using the energy and it's derivative to analyze the equilibrium points but I honestly have no idea how to go about setting up the problem, a push in the right direction would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, start with the energy... did you draw a sketch?
    Where is the center of mass initially? What does that mean for its energy?
    Where is the center of mass after the hemispheres rolled a tiny bit? Small-angle approximations are fine as you are interested in the limit anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted