ODE Textbook 9th Edition: Boyce & DiPrima

• Thread starter qamptr
  • Start date
In summary, there is frustration among students in ODE classes due to the need to purchase expensive new editions of the Boyce and DiPrima ODE textbook. The ninth edition is barely expanded and includes some flashy pictures and new problems using CAS, but still contains the same number of errors as the first edition. Additionally, there is confusion over the measurement of forces in m/s and the use of CAS in problem solving. Some students may incorrectly write the force due to air resistance as |v|/30, leading to further annoyance.
qamptr
Yet another generation of students in ODE classes is forced to buy an exorbitantly priced new edition of the Boyce and DiPrima ODE text. Thank you for this wonderful and barely expanded ninth edition.

Sample problem: 2.3.21 Assume that the conditions are as in problem 20 except that there is a force due to air resistance of |v|/30, where the velocity v is measured in m/s.

Gee, I didn't know forces could be measured in m/s. Maybe they meant "proportional to."

All I'm saying is... ninth edition... If you want to include the latest technology, publish a new textbook about the application of new technology to these problems. Don't give us a ninth edition of an old book with the same number of errors as the first and then, oh yeah, some flashy pictures and some neat problems you can do with CAS.

I just know some student is going to write F_r=|v|/30 and things will just get more annoying from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sample problem: 2.3.21 Assume that the conditions are as in problem 20 except that there is a force due to air resistance of |v|/30, where the velocity v is measured in m/s.
Well, if one is working in SI (or mks) there is an implicit assumption that the force is in N (Newtons) and the proportionality constant 1/30 is in N/(m/s), and the speed or magnitude of velocity is in m/s. Presumably problem 20 uses force in N?

I completely understand the frustration of students being forced to purchase a new edition of a textbook at an exorbitant price. It is unfortunate that this is a common practice in the publishing industry and it puts a financial burden on students who are already struggling with the rising cost of education.

Additionally, I agree with the sentiment that a new edition should include more than just minor updates and flashy pictures. The focus should be on providing new and relevant information, not just on making a profit. As scientists, it is our responsibility to constantly strive for improvement and innovation, and this should be reflected in the textbooks we use in our classrooms.

Regarding the sample problem, I agree that the language used can be misleading and confusing. It is important for textbooks to use clear and accurate terminology to avoid any misunderstandings or errors in problem-solving. As scientists, we must always be precise and accurate in our communication and this should be reflected in our textbooks as well.

In conclusion, I believe that as scientists and educators, we should prioritize the education and well-being of our students over profit. We should strive to provide them with the best and most updated information in our textbooks, rather than simply repackaging old material. Let us work towards creating a more affordable and equitable education system for all students.

1. What is the main focus of the ODE Textbook 9th Edition?

The main focus of the ODE Textbook 9th Edition is Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs) and their applications in various scientific and technological fields.

2. Who are the authors of the ODE Textbook 9th Edition?

The authors of the ODE Textbook 9th Edition are William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, both renowned mathematicians and educators.

3. What makes the 9th edition of the ODE Textbook unique?

The 9th edition of the ODE Textbook includes new and updated material, as well as additional examples and exercises to enhance the learning experience.

4. Is the ODE Textbook suitable for self-study?

Yes, the ODE Textbook is designed to be user-friendly and can be used for self-study. It includes step-by-step explanations, numerous examples, and exercises with solutions to help readers understand the concepts.

5. Can the ODE Textbook be used for advanced courses in mathematics?

Yes, the ODE Textbook is suitable for advanced courses in mathematics. It covers a wide range of topics, including advanced techniques for solving ODEs, making it a valuable resource for students and researchers in the field of mathematics.