1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boyer-linquist Coordinates

1. Jun 1, 2005 #1
    Hey,
    I was wondering if someone could kindly explain to me everything they can about Boyer-linquist coordinates. I was looking at them and I think I saw something, but I'm not sure. So, someone please tell me everything about them.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2005 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a rather vague question. Why do you Kerr about them?

4. Jun 1, 2005 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

My, you are a low-down, punning KERR, I think I'll run over you with my KERR.

And no, I don't know how he pronounced it either.

5. Jun 1, 2005 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Jun 3, 2005 #5
    You guys do realize that Schwarzchild's solution also utilized the boyer-lindquist coordinates, right?

7. Jun 3, 2005 #6

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Boyer-Lindquist coordinates (r,theta,phi,t) are a generalization of Schwarzschild coordinates (r,theta,phi,t) just as the Kerr solution is a generalization of the Schwarzschild solution.

See for instance
    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~bon/kerr/intro2.html
    http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/KerrBlackHole.html

There are some auxillary variables used in the expression for the BL metric
    [tex]\Delta[/tex], [tex]\rho[/tex], however these variables do not appear as differentials in the metric (dr^2, etc.) in the descriptions I've seen (those above plus MTW's Gravitation) so these variables wouldn't qualify as coordinates in my opinion.

I really don't know what information you are looking for, your questions have been a bit vague so far.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?