1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bragg's Angles for X-Ray

1. Jan 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Spacing between the Na and Cl atoms in table salt (NaCl) is ##d=2.82x10^{-10}m##, which was first deduced from Bragg scattering. For an experiment where X-rays of energy 20 eV are produced, what are the corresponding Bragg angles below ##90^{\circ}## for scattering from a large crystal of table salt?

2. Relevant equations
    Bragg's Law: ##2dsin(\theta)=n\lambda##

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##sin(\theta)=\frac{n\lambda}{2d}##
    ##\lambda = \frac{hc}{E_{photon}}##
    ##\theta = sin^{-1}(\frac{nhc}{2dE})##
    ##\theta = sin^{-1}(\frac{n*1240eV\dot nm}{2*0.282nm*20eV})##
    ##\theta = sin^{-1}(n*109)##

but this isn't within the domain of arcsin. So are there just no Bragg's angles here? Or is there a different energy that I'm using rather than 20 eV?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I believe your calculations are correct. Perhaps someone else can also check the numbers, but I think the x-ray energies need to be more like 20 keV.

4. Jan 25, 2017 #3
    Definitely in the keV region. From memory, Cu Kα, a common source, is around 8 keV.

5. Jan 25, 2017 #4
    After turning in the work today, the professor mentioned there was a typo in the book and he failed to email us to tell us that before hand. It was in fact supposed to be 20 keV.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted