Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Branching ratio

  1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    what do u mean by gamma ray branching ratio of 'k-40' is 10.67%?
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2

    QuantumPion

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    K-40 has a 89.28% chance of decaying by beta emission, and a 10.72% chance of decaying by electron capture.
     
  4. Oct 16, 2012 #3
    But these add up to 100,00 %. What is the chance of decaying by positron emission?
     
  5. Oct 16, 2012 #4

    QuantumPion

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    0.001%.
     
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook