Break Strength of Net: Falconer's Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of trapping hawks and falcons for a hobby, using a trap called a dho gazza. The question at hand is about the break strength of the net when hit by a bird, given that the net is rated for 20 pounds but the falcon weighs only 10 ounces. The discussion suggests seeking input from the General Physics or General Engineering forum to determine the parameters and criteria used by manufacturers in determining the strength of their nets. It is also noted that the question may not be suitable for the homework section due to its open-ended nature.
Raptortrapper
My question doesn't come from any homework, or from a text, or any course work. I am just curious, but horrible with physics.

I am a falconer. I trap hawks and falcons for my hobby, and yes, I have a license for it. We use a trap called a dho gazza, which is a small net suspended by two poles. A bait bird is placed behind the net, and the raptor flies into the net while attempting to get to the bait bird. (No harm is done to the bait bird, other than scaring the daylights out of it for a few seconds.) My question concerns the net, and the break strength when it is hit by an incoming bird.

If the net is rated to a break strength of 20 pounds, and the falcon I am attempting to trap only weighs 10 ounces, how fast would that bird have to be traveling in order to break through the net instead of getting caught in it?

If there are other variables that you need, I will try my best to provide them. Thank you very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'd be better to start a discussion in the General Physics or General Engineering forum to begin with in order to get some ideas of what sorts of parameters might be involved. For example, what criteria do manufacturers use when specifying the strength of their nets? Is there an agreed upon standard test? Is it a static test or a dynamic test? Contacting a manufacturer might be in order.

As it stands I feel that the problem is too open-ended for the homework section. I note that you didn't use the homework formatting template, which is a pretty good indicator that the question isn't "ready for prime time" as a homework type question.

Likes Chestermiller
Ok thanks. I didn't know where to put this question, so thanks for the help. I'll throw it on there and see what happens. The manufacturer had no idea when I asked them this question.

1. What is the break strength of a net?

The break strength of a net refers to the amount of force that a net can withstand before breaking or tearing. It is typically measured in pounds or kilograms and is an important factor in determining the durability and effectiveness of a net.

2. How is the break strength of a net determined?

The break strength of a net is determined through a series of standardized tests. These tests involve placing a sample of the net material in a machine that gradually applies force until the net breaks. The maximum force applied before the net breaks is then recorded as the break strength.

3. What factors affect the break strength of a net?

The break strength of a net can be affected by various factors such as the type of material used, the thickness and weave of the net, and the quality of construction. Other factors that can impact the break strength include exposure to UV light, chemicals, and extreme temperatures.

4. Why is knowing the break strength of a net important?

Knowing the break strength of a net is important for several reasons. It allows for the proper selection of a net for a specific use, ensuring that it can withstand the expected amount of force. It also helps in identifying potential safety hazards and preventing accidents from occurring.

5. How can the break strength of a net be increased?

The break strength of a net can be increased by using stronger and more durable materials, such as high-strength polyethylene or steel. Proper construction techniques, such as reinforcing critical stress points, can also improve the break strength. Regular maintenance and proper storage can also help prolong the life and break strength of a net.