Bringing limit inside a right-continuous function.

In summary: However, in the limit as x approaches the boundary of the domain, the continuity condition will usually be satisfied.
operationsres

Homework Statement

Suppose that we have [itex]N : \mathbb{R}\cup\{-\infty,\infty\} \to [0,1][/itex] which is the standard normal cumulative distribution function. It is right-continuous.

What I want to evaluate is [itex]\lim_{b\to 0^+}N(\frac{a}{b})[/itex], where [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}^+[/itex], and alternatively where [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}^- [/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I opened a thread yesterday on the same topic but the consequences of the fact that [itex]N(.)[/itex] is right-continuous wasn't answered/addressed, which is why I decided to re-open and start fresh so that we can focus on this one aspect.

I already know that [itex]N(-\infty)[/itex] and [itex]N(\infty)[/itex] are well defined to equal 0 and 1 respectively, so that's not what I'm asking :).

Please focus on whether I can push the limits inside of N(.) under both a > 0 and a < 0 under the condition that N(.) is right-continuous.

-------------------------

Refresher: right continuous at [itex]c[/itex] means that [itex]\lim_{x \to c^+}f(x) = f(c)[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
operationsres said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that we have [itex]N : \mathbb{R}\cup\{-\infty,\infty\} \to [0,1][/itex] which is the standard normal cumulative distribution function. It is right-continuous.

What I want to evaluate is [itex]\lim_{b\to 0^+}N(\frac{a}{b})[/itex], where [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}^+[/itex], and alternatively where [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}^- [/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I opened a thread yesterday on the same topic but the consequences of the fact that [itex]N(.)[/itex] is right-continuous wasn't answered/addressed, which is why I decided to re-open and start fresh so that we can focus on this one aspect.

I already know that [itex]N(-\infty)[/itex] and [itex]N(\infty)[/itex] are well defined to equal 0 and 1 respectively, so that's not what I'm asking :).

Please focus on whether I can push the limits inside of N(.) under both a > 0 and a < 0 under the condition that N(.) is right-continuous.

-------------------------

Refresher: right continuous at [itex]c[/itex] means that [itex]\lim_{x \to c^+}f(x) = f(c)[/itex].

The answer is YES for ANY legitimate cdf, not just for the normal cdf N(.). I have already stated this about 3 times, but for some reason you seem not to believe the answer. All you need to is fall back on _defintions_ involving limits of +∞ or -∞ and use standard properties of a cdf F(x).

Things would be a bit different if you were talking about finite limits; then you really would need to distinguish between limits from the left or from the right, at least for a cdf having jump discontinuities (but not for continuous ones like N(.)).

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
The answer is YES for ANY legitimate cdf, not just for the normal cdf N(.). I have already stated this about 3 times, but for some reason you seem not to believe the answer. All you need to is fall back on _defintions_ involving limits of +∞ or -∞ and use standard properties of a cdf F(x).

Things would be a bit different if you were talking about finite limits; then you really would need to distinguish between limits from the left or from the right, at least for a cdf having jump discontinuities (but not for continuous ones like N(.)).

RGV
Consider [itex]\lim_{b\to 0^-} N(\frac{a}{b})[/itex] with a < 0. we have that [itex]\frac{a}{b}\to +\infty[/itex] from the left, and you say in this case it is perfectly fine to push the limit inside N(.) even though it is right continuous. Okay, I get this.

But I would like an explanation of why we (i) can't automatically put the limit inside N(.) if we're doing a finite limit from the left , (ii) we are allowed to put the limit inside N(.) if we're doing an infinite limit from the left.

Also N(.) is right-continuous according to wikipedia (which is distinct from "continuous" like you say?).

Also my friend is a maths post-doc and he said that I can only push the limit inside when it approaches from the left if the function is left-continuous or continuous, not right-continuous (as is the case with N(.)), which adds to my confusion. I guess he's wrong.

Last edited:
operationsres said:
In case a < 0 we have that [itex]\frac{a}{b}\to -\infty[/itex] from the left, and you say in this case it is perfectly fine to push the limit inside N(.) even though it is right continuous. Okay, I get this.

But I would like an explanation of why we (i) can't automatically put the limit inside N(.) if we're doing a finite limit from the left , (ii) we are allowed to put the limit inside N(.) if we're doing an infinite limit from the left.

Also N(.) is right-continuous according to wikipedia (which is distinct from "continuous" like you say?).

Also my friend is a maths post-doc and he said that I can only push the limit inside when it approaches from the left if the function is left-continuous or continuous, not right-continuous, which adds to my confusion.

For any F(x) obtained by integrating a density, F is both right and left continuous---just plain continuous. It is different if you have a mixed distribution (partly discrete and partly continuous) or discrete. In those cases there will be points at which F is continuous from the right but not from the left (at least if you use the more-or-less standard convention that F(x) = Pr{X x}. On the other hand, the complementary cumulative G(x) = 1-F(x) = Pr{X > x} would be continuous from the left but not from the right in those cases.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
For any F(x) obtained by integrating a density, F is both right and left continuous---just plain continuous.

So when Wiki says "Every cumulative distribution function F is (not necessarily strictly) monotone non-decreasing (see monotone increasing) and right-continuous.", this doesn't exclude that it could also be left continuous AS WELL AS right continuous, making it plain old continuous?

Thanks for your help! I just thought that [itex]\text{Right Continuous} \Rightarrow \neg \text{Left Continuous}[/itex] which is where I was getting confused.

operationsres said:
So when Wiki says "Every cumulative distribution function F is (not necessarily strictly) monotone non-decreasing (see monotone increasing) and right-continuous.", this doesn't exclude that it could also be left continuous AS WELL AS right continuous, making it plain old continuous?

Thanks for your help! I just thought that [itex]\text{Right Continuous} \Rightarrow \neg \text{Left Continuous}[/itex] which is where I was getting confused.

Nope. It is like saying "all men are human". That does not imply that all humans are men.

RGV

Related to Bringing limit inside a right-continuous function.

1. What is meant by "bringing limit inside a right-continuous function"?

Bringing limit inside a right-continuous function refers to the process of evaluating the limit of a function at a particular point by approaching the point from the right side. This is commonly used when dealing with discontinuous or piecewise functions.

2. How is bringing limit inside a right-continuous function different from evaluating a limit at a specific point?

When evaluating a limit at a specific point, we consider the behavior of the function as it approaches the point from both the left and right sides. However, when bringing limit inside a right-continuous function, we only consider the behavior from the right side.

3. What is the importance of bringing limit inside a right-continuous function?

Bringing limit inside a right-continuous function allows us to determine the value of a limit at a particular point, even if the function is discontinuous at that point. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of the function and its continuity properties.

4. Can we bring limit inside a right-continuous function for all types of functions?

No, we can only bring limit inside a right-continuous function for functions that are right-continuous. A function is considered right-continuous if the limit from the right side at a particular point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to bringing limit inside a right-continuous function?

One limitation is that it only allows us to evaluate the limit from the right side, which may not always give us the complete picture of the function's behavior. Additionally, it may not work for functions that are not right-continuous.