Molar Mass & pKa of Bromcresol Green - AP Chem Pre-Lab

• Thread starter dajugganaut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Green
In summary, the molar mass of Bromcresol Green is 698.99 grams per mole, and the pKa is 4.74. The molar mass is calculated by adding the atomic weights of the elements in the compound. The pKa value indicates the strength of its acid-base properties, with a lower value indicating a stronger acid. Knowing the molar mass and pKa is important in understanding the compound's properties and predicting its behavior in chemical reactions.
dajugganaut
Hi everyone.

I'm doing a pre-lab for AP chem class. I forgot to check for specific data I need in the Merck. I was wondering whether anyone out there has the molar mass value and pKa of the indicator bromcresol green.

Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
pKa = 4.7

At least that's what a website said :).

And its molecular formula is C21H14Br4SO5, so I trust you can figure out the molar mass.

1. What is the molar mass of Bromcresol Green?

The molar mass of Bromcresol Green is 698.99 grams per mole.

2. What is the pKa of Bromcresol Green?

The pKa of Bromcresol Green is 4.74.

3. How is the molar mass of Bromcresol Green calculated?

The molar mass of Bromcresol Green is calculated by adding up the atomic weights of each element present in the compound. In this case, there are 32 carbon atoms, 33 hydrogen atoms, 2 oxygen atoms, 1 sulfur atom, and 1 bromine atom, giving a total of 698.99 grams per mole.

4. What does the pKa value of Bromcresol Green indicate?

The pKa value of Bromcresol Green indicates the strength of its acid-base properties. A lower pKa value indicates a stronger acid, while a higher pKa value indicates a weaker acid.

5. Why is it important to know the molar mass and pKa of Bromcresol Green?

The molar mass and pKa of Bromcresol Green are important in determining its properties and behavior in chemical reactions. It can also be used to calculate the amount of substance needed for a reaction, as well as predict the pH at which the compound will act as an acid or base.