Buck converter in continuos mode

In summary, the conversation discusses the buck converter in continuous mode and the graph for inductor current on Wikipedia. The question arises about the non-zero inductor current at t=0 and whether it is possible due to the inductor's inability to change instantaneously. The person suggests thinking about the current at some time t<0 before the switch is turned on. The graph shows steady state operation over one period of time.
daniel_8775
Hello,

I don't quite understand the buck converter in continuos mode ... looking at the graph for inductor current on wikipedia, at t=0, there is a nonzero inductor current, Imin ... how is this possible when the inductor current cannot change instantaneously (assuming it starts at zero, then at t=0 when the switch is on, it must be zero as well). Perhaps I'm not thinking about this correctly, and I shouldn't be thinking about when the experiment "starts", maybe I should be thinking at some time t<0 it had current I_min through it before the switch came on?

Here is the graph I'm looking at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Buck_chronogram.png

Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
daniel_8775 said:
maybe I should be thinking at some time t<0 it had current I_min through it before the switch came on?

Yes, this is what you should think. The picture describes steady state operation. The time T is one period.

Related to Buck converter in continuos mode

1. What is a buck converter in continuous mode?

A buck converter in continuous mode is a type of DC-DC converter that uses a switching circuit to efficiently step down a higher voltage input to a lower voltage output. In continuous mode, the converter's switch is always conducting, resulting in a continuous flow of current through the inductor and output capacitor.

2. How does a buck converter in continuous mode work?

A buck converter in continuous mode works by first storing energy in the inductor when the switch is closed. When the switch opens, the energy stored in the inductor is released and flows through the output capacitor to maintain a constant output voltage. This process repeats in a continuous cycle to regulate the output voltage.

3. What are the advantages of a buck converter in continuous mode?

One of the main advantages of a buck converter in continuous mode is its high efficiency. By constantly regulating the output voltage, it minimizes power loss and heat dissipation. It also has a smaller size and lower cost compared to other types of converters.

4. What are the limitations of a buck converter in continuous mode?

A buck converter in continuous mode has a limited output current and is not suitable for high power applications. It also requires careful design and selection of components to prevent issues such as overvoltage spikes and ringing.

5. How is the output voltage of a buck converter in continuous mode controlled?

The output voltage of a buck converter in continuous mode is controlled by adjusting the duty cycle of the switch. This can be done manually by changing the input voltage or through a feedback control loop that monitors the output voltage and adjusts the duty cycle accordingly.