How to Manipulate Your Budget Line for Optimal Purchasing Power

I'm not sure why I didn't catch it earlier. In summary, the given information states that with a certain income, one can afford either 4 units of good x and 6 units of good y, or 12 units of x and 2 units of y. To find the ratio of the price of x to the price of y, we set up two budget lines (equations) and solve for the ratio, which is 1/2. To determine how much x can be bought with the entire income, we use the price ratio to set up a proportion and solve for the unknown variable, which represents the number of units of x that can be purchased.

Homework Statement

Your budget is such that if you spend your entire income, you can afford either 4 units of good x and 6 units of good y OR 12 units of x and 2 units of y.

A) What is the ratio of the price of x to the price of y?
B) If you spend all your income on x, how much x could you buy?

Homework Equations

Budget line: p1x1 + p2x2 = m

m = income
p1 = price of x
p2 = price of y
x1 = good x
x2 = good y

The Attempt at a Solution

The two budget lines (which are equal) will be:

4(p1) + 6(p2) = m
12(p1) + 2(p2) = m

So would the ratio be 4/12 = 6/2 ?

And I have no clue about B). Do I have to solve for anything? Using subsitution doesn't solve anything. I still up end up with variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
4/12 does not equal 6/2. Reread the problem.

I meant 4/12:6/2, since it's supposed to be a ratio.

It is not 4/12:6/2. You were doing fine up to the point where you had 4(p1) + 6(p2) = m = 12(p1) + 2(p2). Now, just rearrange so that you get p1/p2 = ?

For part (b), you know your income through how much of x1 and x2 you can buy. You also know the ratio p1/p2. So, you can find the price p2 in terms of p1. Substitute.

Alright, so the ratio is 1/2. But I still don't understand how you find what your income is.

You don't need to find what the income is exactly, only how many units of good x you can purchase. How can you find out how many units of x cost the same as 6 units of y from the price ratio? Sorry for letting this question slip through the cracks.

What is budget line manipulation?

Budget line manipulation is the act of adjusting or changing the budget line in a budget to achieve a desired outcome. It involves altering the allocation of resources within a budget to maximize profits, minimize costs, or achieve other financial goals.

Why is budget line manipulation important?

Budget line manipulation is important because it allows individuals, businesses, and governments to make strategic decisions about how to allocate their financial resources. By adjusting the budget line, they can determine the most efficient and effective way to achieve their financial goals.

What are some common techniques used for budget line manipulation?

Some common techniques for budget line manipulation include reducing or increasing expenses, negotiating prices with suppliers, changing production methods, and adjusting sales strategies.

What are the potential risks or downsides of budget line manipulation?

One potential risk of budget line manipulation is that it can lead to a misallocation of resources if not done carefully. It can also cause confusion and distrust among stakeholders if changes are not communicated effectively. Additionally, budget line manipulation may not always result in the desired outcome and can lead to financial losses.

How can individuals and businesses ensure ethical practices when manipulating budget lines?

To ensure ethical practices when manipulating budget lines, individuals and businesses should be transparent and honest about their intentions and methods. They should also consider the impact on all stakeholders, including employees and suppliers, and strive for fairness in their decision-making. Additionally, following established financial regulations and seeking guidance from financial professionals can help ensure ethical practices.