Build a 600ft Spring Launcher: Ideas & Advice

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a spring launcher that can launch a small projectile like a tennis ball or baseball 600 feet. One suggestion is to use a pressure vessel, but it is considered dangerous. Another suggestion is to build a large trebuchet, but the lightweight tennis ball may not gain enough momentum. The energy stored in a compressed spring can be equated to the potential energy of the tennis ball, and combinations of spring constants and displacement can be explored. It is also mentioned that a vertical launch velocity of 1000 meters per second would be needed to reach 600 feet elevation due to atmospheric air drag. The conversation also veers off to discussing spud guns and beer can cannons as alternative launchers.
puma4life565
Do you guys think it is possible to build a spring launcher that launches a small projectile like a tennis ball or baseball like 600 feet...If it is, what kind of spring would one use.

Or maybe a different launcher approach would be better. LET Me Know

Engineering news on Phys.org
600 feet...Up, downrange, what?

600 feet for a tennis ball is quite a ways. Does it have to be mechanical? You could try a pressure vessel, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have to prior experience with them. To launch a tennis ball 600 feet you'll need some high pressure, and that can be very dangerous.

You could build a large trebuchet, but the problem is that your tennis ball is pretty light and won't really get a great deal of momentum. (maybe a baseball...)

The energy stored in a compressed spring is:

U = 1/2 * k *x^2

k = spring constant
x = spring displacement from rest.

You could equate this to the potential energy of the tennis ball:

PE = m g h
m = mass of tennis ball
h = 600 ft

And you could find combinations of k & x and see if they are available.

Be carefull if you actually do this - it could be dangerous !

Due to atmospheric air drag, it would require about 1000 meters per second vertical launch velocity for a tennis ball to reach 600 feet elevation. The drag coefficient for turbulent drag is about 0.6 due to the fuzz.. For a baseball (hardball), about 130 meters per second is adequate. I had to use numerical integration as follows:

PROGRAM launchtennisball
REM vertical launch
OPTION NOLET
g=9.81 ! gravity
m=0.057 ! mass in kg
d=0.065 ! diameter in meters
C=0.6 ! drag coedfficient
dens=1.2 ! density of air in kg per m^3
v0=100 ! vertical launch velocity in meters per sec
CALL launch(v0,g,m,d,C,dens,ymax,t)
PRINT ymax,t
END

SUB launch(v0,g,m,d,C,dens,ymax,t)
v=v0
t=0
dt=0.001
A=pi*d^2/4
y=0
ymax=0
DO
t=t+dt
dv=(0.5*dens*C*A*v^2/m)*dt+g*dt
v=v-dv
y=y+v*dt
LOOP until v<0
ymax=y
END SUB

Bob S

LOL! I must say that college kids are probably a bit saner than we used to be. . . .

Google "spud gun" or "potato gun" or "beer can cannon". 600 ft might be a bit far for something as light in sectional density as a tennis ball, but. . . it HAS been done! :-) "Iron City" beer cans (steel with rolled rims) made for good barrel material but you could use tennis ball cans. Add on a healthy layer of fiber tape to make up for the lack of barrel strength. Add lighter fluid (naptha) a tennis ball and fire away! LOL! Recommendation: Tape the barrel to a stick of wood and you have a regular "hand cannone" of the 12th century variety! :-)

What materials do I need to build a 600ft spring launcher?

To build a 600ft spring launcher, you will need a sturdy base, a strong and flexible spring, a launching mechanism, a launching platform, and a counterweight. You may also need additional materials such as ropes, pulleys, and bearings to help with the launch.

How can I calculate the force needed for the spring launcher?

The force needed for the spring launcher can be calculated using Hooke's law, which states that the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. You can also use the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

What is the ideal angle for the launching platform of the spring launcher?

The ideal angle for the launching platform of the spring launcher is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the maximum range and height of the launch while also minimizing the risk of the projectile falling back onto the platform.

Can I adjust the distance and height of the launch with a 600ft spring launcher?

Yes, you can adjust the distance and height of the launch with a 600ft spring launcher by changing the angle and force of the spring, as well as the weight of the projectile. You can also experiment with different launching platforms and counterweights to achieve different launch heights and distances.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when building and using a 600ft spring launcher?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when building and using a 600ft spring launcher. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, and keep a safe distance from the launcher during use. It is also important to carefully test and adjust the launcher before launching any projectiles.