How Do You Build a HeNe Laser Power Supply?

• Thread starter alex caps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the speaker is a high school senior interested in learning about lasers and has decided to start with building a HeNe laser. They have already purchased a laser tube and are now seeking help with building a power supply. They mention using a neon sign transformer and ask for guidance on building a power supply. The speaker also expresses their desire to learn about laser construction and mentions playing with their previous laser before moving on to other projects.
alex caps
I am a senior in high school and I am interested in learning about lasers. After a lot of reading I have decided to start with building a HeNe laser as it seems to be the simplest/cheapest to start. I purchased a laser tube ( http://www.lasers.shopeio.com/inventory/details.asp?id=653&cat=Lasers&sub= ) and now I need to build a power supply. I was wondering if anyone could help me with that? Thanks .

Engineering news on Phys.org
alex caps said:
I am a senior in high school and I am interested in learning about lasers. After a lot of reading I have decided to start with building a HeNe laser as it seems to be the simplest/cheapest to start. I purchased a laser tube ( http://www.lasers.shopeio.com/inventory/details.asp?id=653&cat=Lasers&sub= ) and now I need to build a power supply. I was wondering if anyone could help me with that? Thanks .
You can use a neon sign transformer. I did it with a 9kV transformer when I was in high school. Check out this http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasercon.htm" .
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of buying a power supply I think I would prefer to build one, however, I don't know where to begin. Can you help with that?

Otherwise, I feel as though I am just buying a tube, buying a supply, plugging one into the other and it's done. What did you DO with your laser?

I wouldn't want to build a power supply capable of producing the high voltage required to fire the HeNe. Buying a transformer (or maybe finding one in the trash as I did) would not mean you would not learn about laser construction. There is more to building one than just buying a tube and transformer. Did you read the link I posted?

As to the one I made; I played with it for a while before moving on to other projects.

Regards

1. What is a HeNe laser power supply?

A HeNe laser power supply is a device that provides the necessary high voltage and current to power a helium-neon (HeNe) laser. It is an important component in the construction of a HeNe laser, which is a type of gas laser commonly used in scientific and industrial applications.

2. How does a HeNe laser power supply work?

A HeNe laser power supply works by converting a low voltage, high frequency AC signal into a high voltage, low frequency DC signal. This high voltage DC signal is then used to excite the gas mixture in the laser tube, producing a coherent beam of light.

3. What are the components of a HeNe laser power supply?

The main components of a HeNe laser power supply include a high voltage transformer, a rectifier, and a voltage multiplier. Additional components may include a ballast resistor, a current regulator, and various capacitors and resistors for filtering and regulation.

4. Can I build a HeNe laser power supply myself?

Yes, it is possible to build a HeNe laser power supply yourself with the appropriate knowledge and materials. However, it is important to note that this project involves working with high voltages and should only be attempted by those with experience and proper safety precautions in place.

5. Where can I find help with building a HeNe laser power supply?

There are many online resources and forums dedicated to DIY laser projects where you can find helpful guides, tutorials, and advice from experienced hobbyists and scientists. Additionally, there are books and kits available for purchase that provide step-by-step instructions for building your own HeNe laser power supply.