Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Know any good laser experiments?

1. Jan 19, 2006 #1
    I decided to buy a power supply for my HeNe laser. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good experiments to try. I am planning on eventually doing some holography work and I know about the double slit experiment. Any other ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Measure the coherence length? (Don't ask me how, though, I haven't done it myself.)

Put a small front-surface mirror on a speaker, and rock to the music (ah, the heady days of undergrad....)
  4. Jan 20, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You may modulate the LASER's light by making and breaking the signal. The coding is left as an exercise for the experimenter (an easy one is CW). Set up a reciever some distance away and demodulate the signal at the reciever site. The signal path is line-of-sight, so you could set this up, hilltop to hilltop.

You will probably encounter some interesting effects; e.g. depending on how much moisture is in the air, your signal will become progressively scattered which will limit the distance of successfull demodulation. On a clear day, it would be quite interesting to see how far the light can go and be successfully demodulated.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  5. Jan 20, 2006 #4
    I would use it like a death ray and see how many cities you can topple.
  6. Jan 20, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check into rotating mirrors and diffaction gratings.
  7. Jan 21, 2006 #6
    Hey, You don't suppose that mirror left behind on the Moon is pointing towords Usama Bin Laden do yah? LOL:surprised
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?