Build a Maglev= (Magnetic levitation) train for a science project

In summary, Lisa's teacher doesn't know how to program a magnetic train, so she needs help. Marlon offers to help her, but only if she sends him the code.
Lisa...
Hi there,

I need to build a Maglev= (Magnetic levitation) train for a science project. I already build a track with coils and permanent magnets, but unfortunately my teacher doesn't know which computer program is suitable to switch the current whenever it's needed along with the north and south magnetic poles so that the train will keep on moving forward. Do you have any ideas?

Regards,

Lisa

Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa... said:
Hi there,

I need to build a Maglev= (Magnetic levitation) train for a science project. I already build a track with coils and permanent magnets, but unfortunately my teacher doesn't know which computer program is suitable to switch the current whenever it's needed along with the north and south magnetic poles so that the train will keep on moving forward. Do you have any ideas?

Regards,

Lisa

Try MATLAB or LabVIEW.
LabVIEW is a program you can use to control instrumentational, but you will need a NAQ card.

Unfortunately I don't know if you can acquire these programs easily, I used them in university, so I'm not sure how easy you can get them in your school.

DEFINITELY USE MATLAB MAN...

Besides, in college, i also had to simulate a Magnetic Levitation train and all work was done in matlab. I happen to have the code right here ...mmm... :wink:

marlon

@ marlon: Thank you for your help. Of course I would really appreciate it if you will be so kind to mail me the code, because I really need to finish my project within 2 weeks and I'm afraid it will take a while before the parts I ordered will arrive at school. You see, I live in the Netherlands and here I cannot order the magnets I want, so they need to arrive by airmail from Switzerland. In the meantime I'm struggling writing my survey in English :uhh: I'll really be very grateful to you if you could help me out o:)

No problem. Give me some time to write them down and i will send you a pdf-file per email, ok ? I will do it some time tomorrow...

regards
marlon

How long is it going to take you?

Well what have you done up till now ? Please show me your results and i will check them out for you. I cannot post the entire code for you , but i sure can and will help you out if necessary

regards
marlon

Well actually I hoped to get some ideas from your code, because I really haven't figured the whole programme out yet.

Tell me your problems and we shall continue from there. How about that ?

marlon

You may not even need code, but could do it using hardwire circuits. Though I admit LabVIEW is great(I programmed in it for 3 years) the cards and software are a little pricey for just a science project. 2 Weeks is also not very much time..

1. What materials do I need to build a Maglev train?

To build a Maglev train for a science project, you will need a few key materials including a power source, magnets, a track, and a train model. Depending on the complexity of your project, you may also need additional materials such as wires, a control board, and a power supply.

2. How does a Maglev train work?

A Maglev train works using the principle of magnetic levitation, which involves using powerful magnets to create a magnetic field that lifts and propels the train above the track. The train has magnets on the bottom that repel against the track's magnets, causing the train to levitate and move forward.

3. What is the purpose of building a Maglev train for a science project?

The purpose of building a Maglev train for a science project is to demonstrate the principles of magnetic levitation and how it can be used for transportation. This project can also help students understand the importance of incorporating sustainable and innovative technologies in our society.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a Maglev train?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building a Maglev train. Be sure to handle magnets with caution, as they can be strong and may cause harm if mishandled. It is also important to follow instructions carefully and wear protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, when necessary.

5. Can I make modifications to my Maglev train design?

Yes, you can make modifications to your Maglev train design to improve its performance or to make it more visually appealing. However, it is important to keep in mind the basic principles of magnetic levitation and ensure that any modifications do not compromise the safety of the project.