Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Build a Maglev= (Magnetic levitation) train for a science project

1. Jan 14, 2005 #1
    Hi there,

I need to build a Maglev= (Magnetic levitation) train for a science project. I already build a track with coils and permanent magnets, but unfortunately my teacher doesn't know which computer program is suitable to switch the current whenever it's needed along with the north and south magnetic poles so that the train will keep on moving forward. Do you have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2005 #2
    Try MATLAB or LabVIEW.
    LabVIEW is a program you can use to control instrumentational, but you will need a NAQ card.

Unfortunately I don't know if you can acquire these programs easily, I used them in university, so I'm not sure how easy you can get them in your school.
  4. Jan 14, 2005 #3

Besides, in college, i also had to simulate a Magnetic Levitation train and all work was done in matlab. I happen to have the code right here ...mmm... :wink:

5. Jan 15, 2005 #4
    @ marlon: Thank you for your help. Of course I would really appreciate it if you will be so kind to mail me the code, because I really need to finish my project within 2 weeks and I'm afraid it will take a while before the parts I ordered will arrive at school. :surprised You see, I live in the Netherlands and here I cannot order the magnets I want, so they need to arrive by airmail from Switzerland. In the meantime I'm struggling writing my survey in English :uhh: I'll really be very grateful to you if you could help me out o:)
  6. Jan 15, 2005 #5
    No problem. Give me some time to write them down and i will send you a pdf-file per email, ok ??? I will do it some time tomorrow...

7. Jan 26, 2005 #6
    How long is it going to take you?
  8. Jan 26, 2005 #7
    Well what have you done up till now ??? Please show me your results and i will check them out for you. I cannot post the entire code for you , but i sure can and will help you out if necessary

9. Jan 27, 2005 #8
    Well actually I hoped to get some ideas from your code, because I really haven't figured the whole programme out yet.
  10. Jan 27, 2005 #9
    Tell me your problems and we shall continue from there. How about that ?

11. Jan 27, 2005 #10
    You may not even need code, but could do it using hardwire circuits. Though I admit LabVIEW is great(I programmed in it for 3 years) the cards and software are a little pricey for just a science project. 2 Weeks is also not very much time..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?