Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Build electric washing machine from saw motor

1. Jul 11, 2015 #1
    Hi everybody,
    I've been trying to find instructions on how to build an electric washing machine but am not having any luck! I found non-electric manual operated makeshift washers, but I need something with a little more oomph! The closest thing I've found is someone made a power saw from a washer motor. Not quite what I was looking for but it did get me thinking that I could use a circular saw motor for the spin action on the washer. But I'm not sure if it's possible to get it to go in reverse---then forward--then reverse--then forward, to achieve that crucial agitator function, without burning up the motor. Does anyone have any ideas for what I could do? I'm not sure exactly how it would work, as I haven't gotten to that point yet. Just seeing if it's possible first! I guess I'm just so tired of hauling clothes down to the laundromat every week, and this sounds like a fun project to attempt. Any help or guidance you can offer me is truly appreciated! Thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2015 #2
    I think most washers reverse the motion with a gear coupling trick rather than by actually reversing the electric motor.

4. Jul 11, 2015 #3
    Good to know! I will make note of the "gear coupling" being related to rotational shifts. Thank you! The more names and terms for components etc that I have, the closer I can get to building it and actually getting it to work! Would you happen to know what the actual "trick" is?

5. Jul 11, 2015 #4
    Or use a design that incorporates the crucial agitation.

6. Jul 13, 2015 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Circular saw or reciprocating saw? I do not think you need a saw motor to reverse the above example.
    Any electric motor with a few V-belts and a crank could produce the agitation action.

The Fisher and Paycal, Smart Drive series uses a 48 pole stepper motor to directly drive the drum during both agitation and spin cycles. The approximately 1HP, 750W rated stepper motor is controlled by a microcontroller through a three phase H–bridge, all powered from single phase AC, rectified to DC. Those used motors are often re-purposed as wind generators. Search the web for ideas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook