Build electric washing machine from saw motor

In summary, an electric washing machine would require a gear coupling trick to reverse the motion, and it's possible to find a used electric motor designed for a wind generator that would do the trick.
LadyEyeWire
Hi everybody,
I've been trying to find instructions on how to build an electric washing machine but am not having any luck! I found non-electric manual operated makeshift washers, but I need something with a little more oomph! The closest thing I've found is someone made a power saw from a washer motor. Not quite what I was looking for but it did get me thinking that I could use a circular saw motor for the spin action on the washer. But I'm not sure if it's possible to get it to go in reverse---then forward--then reverse--then forward, to achieve that crucial agitator function, without burning up the motor. Does anyone have any ideas for what I could do? I'm not sure exactly how it would work, as I haven't gotten to that point yet. Just seeing if it's possible first! I guess I'm just so tired of hauling clothes down to the laundromat every week, and this sounds like a fun project to attempt. Any help or guidance you can offer me is truly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think most washers reverse the motion with a gear coupling trick rather than by actually reversing the electric motor.

Likes LadyEyeWire
Dr. Courtney said:
I think most washers reverse the motion with a gear coupling trick rather than by actually reversing the electric motor.

Good to know! I will make note of the "gear coupling" being related to rotational shifts. Thank you! The more names and terms for components etc that I have, the closer I can get to building it and actually getting it to work! Would you happen to know what the actual "trick" is?

Or use a design that incorporates the crucial agitation.

Likes LadyEyeWire
LadyEyeWire said:
The closest thing I've found is someone made a power saw from a washer motor.
Circular saw or reciprocating saw? I do not think you need a saw motor to reverse the above example.
Any electric motor with a few V-belts and a crank could produce the agitation action.

The Fisher and Paycal, Smart Drive series uses a 48 pole stepper motor to directly drive the drum during both agitation and spin cycles. The approximately 1HP, 750W rated stepper motor is controlled by a microcontroller through a three phase H–bridge, all powered from single phase AC, rectified to DC. Those used motors are often re-purposed as wind generators. Search the web for ideas.

Likes LadyEyeWire

1. How can I convert a saw motor into an electric washing machine?

Converting a saw motor into an electric washing machine requires a few key components such as a pulley system, a belt, and a drum. The saw motor will need to be attached to a pulley, which is connected to a belt that will rotate the drum. Additionally, you will need to add a water inlet and drainage system to the drum.

2. Is it safe to build an electric washing machine from a saw motor?

Building an electric washing machine from a saw motor can be safe if done correctly. It is important to follow all safety precautions and use the appropriate tools and materials. It is also recommended to have a professional electrician inspect the machine before use.

3. How much does it cost to build an electric washing machine from a saw motor?

The cost of building an electric washing machine from a saw motor will vary depending on the materials and tools you already have. Generally, it can cost anywhere from $50 to $200 for the necessary components. However, it may be more cost-effective to purchase a new washing machine instead.

4. Can any saw motor be used to build an electric washing machine?

Not all saw motors are suitable for converting into electric washing machines. It is important to choose a saw motor with enough power to rotate the drum and withstand the weight of the clothes. Additionally, the motor should have the appropriate voltage and speed for the desired washing machine function.

5. Are there any specific instructions for building an electric washing machine from a saw motor?

Yes, there are specific instructions and guidelines to follow when building an electric washing machine from a saw motor. It is important to research and follow a detailed step-by-step guide to ensure the machine is safe and functional. Consulting with a professional or experienced DIY enthusiast may also be helpful.