Building a ~20khz Radio on the Cheap

In summary: The link I provided you goes to a guide on how to build a radio to pick up Jupiter's emf. The guide is for AM and FM signals, so those are the frequencies you would need to be looking for.
radiogeek17
I am trying to build a radio to receive a 200 hz - 20 kHz signal. Can anyone give me a starting point as to what specific parts I would need (breadboard, operational amplifier, transistors, resistors, antennae, etc..)? The signal frequency is the most important thing for this project.

Thanks guys.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi
welcome to PF :)

now assuming you didnt err on your frequency range, the only thing of interest in the 10 - 20kHz to listen to are Atmospherics ... Whistlers, Dawn Chorus etc

google is a wonderful thing ;)

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/vlfwhistle.htmDave

radiogeek17 said:
I am trying to build a radio to receive a 200 hz - 20 kHz signal.
I think you need to indicate whether this is for AM or FM stations. :wink:

What signal or waveform will you recover from each radio signal?

I am trying to receive an audio signal within this range of baseband frequencies. I don't think it is AM or FM signals - these waves are longwave radio signals and fall beneath the range of AM frequencies (540 - 1710 khz). SO neither AM or FM.

Specific instructions would be appreciated :).

radiogeek17 said:
I am trying to receive an audio signal within this range of baseband frequencies. I don't think it is AM or FM signals - these waves are longwave radio signals and fall beneath the range of AM frequencies (540 - 1710 khz). SO neither AM or FM.

Http://www.Instructables.comThere are many many radio designs with many frequency ranges available at the site. Are you aiming for the aircraft band or some other particular type of frequency? The radio I just built was for trying to pick up Jupiter's emf so I can hear the "noises" theta net makes. I do not know if I was successful or not t it was interesting to listen to.

Essentially an LM386 with a 1000microFarad cap to set the gain high so you can hear the faint signals being received by the antenna. That's the approach I used. If you have any questions concerning my build please send me a message and I will link you the schematic. However it is also available in the link I posted, just search for anything radio and you should run into something to fulfill your requirements. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
radiogeek17 said:

A specific requirement would be necessary before you can expect any specific instructions. You need to decide exactly what you want to do before you can obtain any real help here.
FM and AM are forms of modulation and do not 'define' a frequency band, although certain bands tend to be used for particular purposes.
What actual signal(s) do you want to receive and what actual frequency(ies)? Do you just want to detect an unmodulated Carrier Wave? Will these be high level or low level signals? What sort of antenna do you propose to use?

radiogeek17 said:

Did you even look in the link I gave you ?

its exactly for receiving those frequencies

But as others have asked and you still haven't told us...

Specifically what are you wanting to receive ?

Dave

What is a ~20khz radio?

A ~20khz radio is a type of radio that operates within the frequency range of approximately 20,000 hertz. This frequency range is often used for communication and broadcasting purposes.

What are the benefits of building a ~20khz radio on the cheap?

Building a ~20khz radio on the cheap allows for cost-effective experimentation and learning about radio technology. It also provides the opportunity to customize and modify the radio to suit specific needs.

What components are needed to build a ~20khz radio on the cheap?

To build a ~20khz radio on the cheap, you will need a radio frequency (RF) receiver, an antenna, a power supply, and various electronic components such as capacitors, resistors, and transistors. You may also need a breadboard or circuit board to assemble the components.

Can I build a ~20khz radio on the cheap without any prior knowledge or experience?

While some basic knowledge of electronics and radio technology is helpful, it is possible to build a ~20khz radio on the cheap with the help of online tutorials and guides. It may also be beneficial to consult with a more experienced individual or take a course on radio building.

What are some potential challenges or limitations when building a ~20khz radio on the cheap?

Some challenges when building a ~20khz radio on the cheap may include finding suitable and affordable components, troubleshooting technical issues, and limited range and functionality compared to a professionally built radio. It is also important to follow safety precautions when working with electronic components.