1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Building a car in AP Physics, Need Suggestions

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    Building a car in AP Physics, Need Suggestions!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I am in need of suggestions on a project that was recently assigned to my AP Physics class. The challenge was to make a "Tank" (any vehicle) that will go down a ramp, shoot a projectile over a 1.5ft wall, and go back up the ramp.

The instructions of this project are as follows:
    -The ramp is 12 feet by 2 feet wide and at a 20 degree slope to the horizontal.
    -No incendiaries allowed.
    -Electricity can be used, but cannot exceed 3V (2 AA batteries)
    -The vehicle must stop in the "stopping zone" that is 12 inches long by 8 inches wide starting 18 inches from the bottom of the ramp.
    -A 1.5ft wall is to be placed at the bottom of the ramp.
    -The vehicle must shoot a projectile (minimum of .5in diameter, maximum of 1 inch, but not limited to spheres) over the wall and must hit a target placed 10 feet away from the wall.
    -The vehicle may not be interfered with until the run is over.
    -No guiding devices may be used (ie; strings, pulleys)

As you can see, there are not a lot of methods we can utilize, but I am willing and grateful for any suggestions anyone may have.

Thank you.

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Other than some preliminary sketches of our ideas, our group really doesn't have any idea where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    Re: Building a car in AP Physics, Need Suggestions!!

I would visit a hobby shop (one that sells model airplanes, trains, etc) and ask for suggestions. This store will likely be your best friend for this project; most of what you'll need can (should) be found there.

For sure, you'll need a frame, a drive shaft of some sort (motor, wheels, and axle), and some circuit board to operate these. You'll also need a spring and pin system to fire the projectile. There are probably other things you may want to include that I can't think of, but this should be a starting point.

Hope this helps!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook