Building a microscope with two different power lenses

In summary, to build a 14X microscope from a 2X and 5X magnifying lens, you need to align the lenses and find the combined magnification. The equations Meye = 25/feye and Mobj = -L/fobj can be used to calculate the magnification, where eye is the distance between the lens and the viewer's eye, obj is the distance between the lenses, and L is the distance between the objective lens and the object being viewed. The tube length can then be determined by finding the distance that gives a magnification of 14X.
surfahgirl

Homework Statement

You've been asked to build a 14X microscope from a 2X magnifying lens and a 5X magnifying lens.
What will be the tube length of your microscope?

Homework Equations

Meye = 25/feye
Mobj = -L/fobj
M = (Meye)(Mobj)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, are you supposed to use the 5X as the objective? That's what I assumed since it's a higher power, but I'm not sure why exactly?

Then I'm not quite sure what to do next. I found the feye value to be 12.5 cm. But I get don't know what to do after that. If someone could just point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
surfahgirl said:

Homework Statement

You've been asked to build a 14X microscope from a 2X magnifying lens and a 5X magnifying lens.
What will be the tube length of your microscope?

Homework Equations

Meye = 25/feye
Mobj = -L/fobj
M = (Meye)(Mobj)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, are you supposed to use the 5X as the objective? That's what I assumed since it's a higher power, but I'm not sure why exactly?
What difference does it make?
Then I'm not quite sure what to do next. I found the feye value to be 12.5 cm. But I get don't know what to do after that. If someone could just point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
Well you need to line up the lenses involved and work out what the magnification is for different 5x-2x separations. Do you know how to work out the combined magnification of two lenses?

1. How does a microscope with two different power lenses work?

A microscope with two different power lenses works by using two lenses, one with a low magnification power and one with a high magnification power, to view an object. The low power lens is used to initially locate and focus on the object, while the high power lens is used to magnify the image for more detailed viewing.

2. Can I switch between the two lenses while using the microscope?

Yes, you can switch between the two lenses while using the microscope. Most microscopes with two different power lenses have a rotating nosepiece that allows you to easily switch between the lenses.

3. What are the advantages of using a microscope with two different power lenses?

The main advantage of using a microscope with two different power lenses is that it allows you to view objects at different magnifications. This is especially useful for examining small or complex structures that require both a low and high magnification.

4. How do I choose which lens to use on the microscope?

The lens you choose to use on the microscope depends on the level of magnification needed to view the object. If you need to view the object in more detail, use the high power lens. If you are just locating or focusing on the object, use the low power lens.

5. Is it difficult to build a microscope with two different power lenses?

Building a microscope with two different power lenses can be a bit complex, but with the right materials and instructions, it is possible to build one at home. However, it is recommended to purchase a pre-made microscope with two lenses for more accurate and reliable results.