Bullet fired and penetrates a block of wood

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 13K views
talaroue
Messages
302
Reaction score
0
1. Homework Statement [/b]

A rifle with a barrel length of 61.54 cm fires a 8.17 g bullet with a horizontal speed of 400 m/s. The bullet strikes a block of wood and penetrates to a depth of 8.9 cm.
What resistive force (assumed to be constant) does the wood exert on the bullet?


Homework Equations


Dynamics


The Attempt at a Solution



PHysics2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
am i even in the right direction? If not where did I go wrong?
 
Is that the only way that we are able to solve this because we haven't gone over engeries in class yet?
 
talaroue said:
Is that the only way that we are able to solve this because we haven't gone over engeries in class yet?
No, you can also use dynamics/kinematics. Start by finding the average acceleration.
 
Am i suppose to assume that the distance the bullet traveled is 70.44 cm? Which is the barrel length+ the depth of the bullet in the wood?
 
I got the anwser it was 7343.822 N...only problem is I don't know how I got it I found someone who did this problem online and just plugged my numbers in his equation but it doesn't show how he derived the equation!
 
I think working on physics so long actually made me worse at it. It was right in front of me I just needed you to remind me of Kinematics! just us xf=xi+(vf^2-vi^2)/2a...then multiply the mass of the bullet by acceleration and that gives me fs...wow FML