Bullet is fired into block at at offset, conversation of kinetic energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
tomorrow_808
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hello, first year engineering student here :)https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t35.0-12/10744040_871781156179440_107104578_o.jpg?oh=73c4261941e7ef6b7c682558c0925a63&oe=544F5CA4&__gda__=1414428985_0415c28b8b2e194bf0b57f065267fe49 [/B]

The question is

in Case B, what percentage of the bullet's initial KE is conserved as KE in the impact?

Homework Equations



KE=(1/2)*m*v^2 + (1/2)*I*w^2 where I=mass moment of inertia, w=angular velocity
(angular momentum) H=m*v*r*sin(theta) (maybe? Not sure if this is revelant...)
(angular momentum) H=I*w (also not sure if relevant)

The Attempt at a Solution


I found the mass moment of the block using I=(1/12)*m*(a^2+b^2) and the bullet I=m*r^2,
then I used H=m*v*r*sin(theta) to find H, then use w=H/I to find angular velocity, where I is I(bullet)+I(block)

then I plugged in all the values into the first KE equation above, but got the wrong answer. (BTW, I found final v of the block+bullet by Conservation of Momentum)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've had enough conversations of kinetic energy for one night :)
 
I think the bullet+block will rotate about its centre of mass? If that's the case then the moment of inertia can be found using I=1/2*m*(a^2+b^2). But the question hints that we should include the bullet's effect on the moment of inertia (the bullet's moment of inertia would be I=m*r^2, yeah?).
 
tomorrow_808 said:
I think the bullet+block will rotate about its centre of mass?
The centre of mass of what, precisely?
the bullet's moment of inertia would be I=m*r^2, yeah?).
Where r is what?