1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyancy correction in a Kater's pendulum

1. May 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! While preparing my next experiment (Kater's pendulum), I was given for homework to derive an equation to correct the buoyancy when calculating ##g##. I am given the result:

##g_c = (\frac{2 \pi}{T(\varphi_0)})^2 l_r (1 + \frac{\varphi_0^2}{8} + \frac{\rho_L}{\rho})##

where ##\varphi_0## is the amplitude, ##l_r## is the length of the equivalent simple pendulum, ##\rho_L## is the density of the air, ##\rho## is the density of the pendulum.

2. The attempt at a solution

I manage to get the ##1 + \frac{\varphi_0^2}{8})## from the Taylor development of ##T(\varphi_0)## and taking the approximation ##\sin \varphi \approx \varphi##.

Then I thought I was gonna derive the buoyancy effect pretty easily from the torque, but that's what I get:

##\tau = m g l_r \sin \varphi - l_r \rho_L V g \sin \varphi = I \ddot{\varphi}##
    ##\implies \ddot{\varphi} - \frac{l_r g (m - \rho_L V)}{I} \varphi = 0##
    ##\implies T^2 = (2 \pi)^2 \frac{I}{l_r g (m - \rho_L V)}##
    ##\implies g = (\frac{2 \pi}{T})^2 \frac{I}{l_r (m - \rho_L V)}##
    ##= (\frac{2 \pi}{T})^2 \frac{m l_r^2}{l_r (m - \rho_L V)}##
    ##= (\frac{2 \pi}{T})^2 l_r \frac{\rho}{\rho - \rho_L}##

Mmm... That's not too far but not quite it! I've been thinking a lot about it now, and I don't get why it's not working. Does anyone have an idea? (Note that the Taylor development is added by putting ##T(\varphi_0)## inside the equation)

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers!

Julien.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you expand ##\frac{\rho}{\rho - \rho_L}## to first order in a small quantity?

4. May 25, 2016 #3
    @TSny Hi and thanks for your answer. There is no other indication than what I have written. The problem with expansion is also that I get an extra ##+1##...

Julien.

5. May 25, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should have something proportional to ##(1+\frac{ \varphi_0^2}{ 8})(\frac{\rho}{\rho - \rho_L})##. As you say, if you expand the second quantity to first order, the second quantity will be of the form 1 + ε, where ε is a small quantity. But, you can then multiply the whole thing out and keep only terms up to first order in small quantities.

6. May 25, 2016 #5
    @TSny I see. Thanks for your answer, our teacher explained something similar today.

Julien.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted