1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyancy lab for my physics class

1. Dec 3, 2003 #1
    I'm trying to do a lab for my physics class. It wants me to calculate the weight of the water displaced when I put a 500-g mass in a cup of water. I know the volume wich is 59.0 ml. And I also know that the Buoyant force i s 0.56 N. I thought that the Buoyant force equals the volume of the water displaced but my friend told me that I have to convert the volume (59.0 ml) to Newtons. I was wondering which one of us was right and if my friend was right i was wondering how to convert ml to Newtons.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You cannot convert units of volume (mL) to units of force (newtons). They are two entirely different kinds of units.

What do you mean "I know the volume wich is 59.0 ml?" Do you mean the volume of the mass is 59 mL, or the volume of the cup of 59 mL, or what?

- Warren

4. Dec 3, 2003 #3
    The volume of the water displaced by the 500-g mass is 59.0 ml

5. Dec 3, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a 59.0 ml. object (of any density greater than that of water) is dropped into water, then it displaces 59.0 ml of water (of course!).

The weight of that water is 59.0 ml * density of water in kg. per ml times 9.8 m/s2 Newtons.

6. Dec 4, 2003 #5
    Thanks SO much guys. That helped SOOOO much!!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?