Buzzing/Whining sound from speakers when connected to laptop

In summary, it appears that the laptop is afflicted with a hum that is caused by the integrated speakers. Turning off the integrated speakers should fix the issue.
MrNathan
Hi, when i plug my speakers into my laptop, i can hear a slight whining sound from one of the speakers. i assumed it was the speakers, however i plugged some brand new headphones in, and the same problem occurred. this leaves me to believe it is a problem with the laptop. does anyone know why it is happening or how i can fix it?

thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I get a similar sound when I connect a radio modem next to the audio jack in the USB port. I think its the grounding cable that picks up the hum. You can either use audio hum eliminator, or try adding a choke, or a band-pass filter to eliminate the 60 Hz powerline hum. I would also recommend a thicker audio cable that is shielded from wifi and other radio frequencies, but obviously the easiest solution is to disconnect the usb cables and turn off wifi on your laptop to see if it fixes the problem. Also any other sources of RF interference around the speakers. Like cellphones, home wireless telephones, TV, etc.

Also a cheap man's solution is wrapping the aluminum foil around the audio cable and then wrapping that with electrical tape.

A laptop not plugged-in to an ac source does not have a proper ground.
But, that should not be a problem here, as laptops are designed to work very well with external speakers with the laptop running on it's own battery power.

Likely, this is the problem:
There are 2 competing general audio adjustments. One is from Windows itself, the second is from the speakers.

If the physical speaker audio adjustment is set too high, you will get a "hum"
Reduce that, and increase the Windows audio.

windows audio is at max.

and after checking carefully, i cans till hear the hum from the integrated speakers on the laptop. so its not an external problem. its just because the external speakers are louder.

for reaching out with your concern. It is possible that the buzzing/whining sound is caused by interference from the laptop's internal components. This can happen when the audio signal from the laptop is not properly shielded, resulting in electromagnetic interference. To troubleshoot this issue, you can try moving the speakers and laptop further apart or using a different audio cable. You can also try updating the audio drivers on your laptop or adjusting the audio settings. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult with a technician or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

1. Why am I hearing a buzzing/whining sound from my speakers when connected to my laptop?

There are a few potential reasons for this sound. It could be due to a faulty audio cable, interference from other electronic devices, or an issue with the audio driver on your laptop. It's also possible that the speakers themselves are damaged or not properly connected.

2. How can I fix the buzzing/whining sound coming from my speakers?

The first step is to check the audio cable and make sure it is securely connected to both the speakers and the laptop. If that doesn't solve the issue, try moving the speakers away from other electronic devices or turning off any nearby devices that could be causing interference. You may also need to update or reinstall the audio driver on your laptop.

3. Is the buzzing/whining sound a sign of a serious problem?

In most cases, the buzzing or whining sound is not a serious problem and can be easily resolved. However, if the sound persists even after trying the above solutions, it could be a sign of a more serious issue such as a damaged speaker or faulty audio hardware on the laptop.

4. Can using different speakers or a different laptop help with the buzzing/whining sound?

Yes, using different speakers or a different laptop could potentially help with the buzzing/whining sound. If the issue persists with different speakers, it could be a problem with the laptop's audio hardware. If the sound goes away when using a different laptop, it could be an issue with the original laptop's audio driver.

5. How can I prevent the buzzing/whining sound from happening in the future?

To prevent the buzzing/whining sound from happening in the future, make sure to use good quality audio cables and keep them away from other electronic devices. It's also a good idea to regularly update the audio driver on your laptop and properly disconnect and store your speakers when not in use to avoid any potential damage.