Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C# with C++ functions

1. Aug 24, 2009 #1
    Hello all,

All of my C++ programming experience is in the coding of console applications and I have recently been asked to re-code some of my console applications as windows forms applications. I asked two highly experienced programmers (one a physicist and the other a financial/business relations expert) about C++ for windows forms applications and they told me never to use C++ for windows forms applications. The main reason being, simply too much time and complexity.

However, they did instruct me to use C# for the windows forms and link the needed C++ functions. Neither of them directed me as to how you link the C++ functions to the C# forms.

I have a good deal of experience with forms, controls, and events in VBA for Excel and Access so I am not totally green with form applications.

So I have two questions;

1. Are they correct about "never use C++ for windows form applications"?

2. Does anyone have a simple example of how to link the two languages together?

Thanks
    Matt

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Aug 24, 2009 #3
    Yes, I always give the same advice.

Compile the C++ into a dynamic library (dll), then you can import the function. Heres an example

http://www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive52.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook