Cable Pulling a Car: Drawing FBD

• Thread starter mybrohshi5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable Car
In summary, the car is held in place by a light cable on a frictionless ramp. The cable makes an angle of 31.0 degrees above the surface of the ramp, and the ramp itself rises at 25.0 degrees above the horizontal. The vectors used for the FBD are: Fthrust - The thrust force FN - The normal force FT - The tension force w - the weight f - the force of friction.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A 1010 kg car is held in place by a light cable on a very smooth (frictionless) ramp, as shown in the figure . The cable makes an angle of 31.0 degrees above the surface of the ramp, and the ramp itself rises at 25.0 degrees above the horizontal.

Draw a free-body diagram for the car.
Draw the force vectors with their tails at the front bumper of the car. The location and orientation of your vectors will be graded. The exact length of your vectors will not be graded.

The vectors used for the FBD are:

Fthrust - The thrust force
FN - The normal force
FT - The tension force
w - the weight
f - the force of friction

carnewcopy.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So the two i am unsure about are the BLUE vectors (the tension and the thrust)

Can anyone help me with this please and let me know if any other vectors i drew are incorrect.

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction will depend on which way the car is moving - it could be pointing up or down the slope.
Thrust is trickier - you can define it in any direction you want, I would have thought up the slope, parallel with the slope, was most useful but it's not a very well posed question.

the car doesn't even seem to be moving i guess...

"A 1010 kg car is held in place by a light cable"

hhmmm and its a frictionless surface so why would there even be a friction vector in the FBD?

This question seems very poor to me too... but i still have to do it somehow.

So i moved the F_thrust to be along the dotted line but now i just am not sure where to put the friction vector...

If it's a frictionless slope there isn't one.
Note stationary doesn't imply no friction. If you park a real car on a slope you better hope there is some friction force between the tires and the road!

"Note stationary doesn't imply no friction. If you park a real car on a slope you better hope there is some friction force between the tires and the road!"

In this case the friction would be up the slope correct?

This is what i am confused about though.
Its for my online homework so it gives me the vectors i need and i just have to place them in the right direction... so i think i have to use the friction vector which doesn't make any sense because if its on a frictionless slope then how can there be a friction force?

Here is the new FBD i drew up.

Does it look right? Do any of the vectors need to be placed somewhere else or does this look ok??

Thank you

carnewcopycopy.jpg

Draw a free-body diagram for the car.
Draw the force vectors with their tails at the front bumper of the car. The location and orientation of your vectors will be graded. The exact length of your vectors will not be graded.

The vectors used for the FBD are:

Fthrust - The thrust force
FN - The normal force
FT - The tension force
w - the weight
f - the force of friction

Could i also get some help finding the normal force...

How hard does the surface of the ramp push on the car?

isn't the normal force just the y component vector of the weight?

so Fn = (m)(g)sin(90-25)
Fn = 8971 N

but this is wrong? where did i go wrong with this?

thanks for any help

The normal force always acts normal to the surface (ie at right angles)
Friction always acts to prevent movement

The diagram i drew above (post #7) is wrong according to my online hw.

can you see where it is wrong?

Thank you

Last edited:
You are right,
The friction could be either up or down - or you could just change the sign.
Thrust could be in any direction you want - I would say your choice makes most sense.

Don't worry too much - often the online tests are pretty dumb. Even textbook questions can be wrong more often than you woudl think - quite often the questions are copied/cut down from longer questions and some vital part is missed. Don't let it get to you.

Well the only reason why i am worrying is cause if i don't get it right i will get a zero for this question and i really don't want that :( plus there are 2 other parts to this question that i am having trouble with and i think the correct FBD will help me visual how to get the answers to them.

1. How does cable pulling a car work?

Cable pulling a car involves using a cable or rope to exert a force on the car in the direction you want it to move. This force is transmitted through the cable to the car, causing it to move in the desired direction.

2. What is a free body diagram (FBD) in the context of cable pulling a car?

A free body diagram (FBD) is a diagram that shows all the forces acting on an object, in this case the car, in a given situation. It is a visual representation of the forces involved in cable pulling a car, and is an important tool for understanding the mechanics of the process.

3. How do you draw a FBD for cable pulling a car?

To draw a FBD for cable pulling a car, start by identifying the object, in this case the car, and draw a simple diagram of it. Then, add arrows to represent all the forces acting on the car, including the cable pulling force, the weight of the car, and any other external forces. Label each force with its magnitude and direction. Finally, make sure all the forces are drawn to scale and in the correct direction.

4. What factors can affect the success of cable pulling a car?

The success of cable pulling a car can be affected by several factors, including the strength and quality of the cable, the angle and direction of the pull, the weight and condition of the car, and the surface on which the car is being pulled. It is important to consider these factors and make sure all necessary precautions are taken to ensure a successful outcome.

5. Are there any safety considerations when cable pulling a car?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when cable pulling a car. It is important to use a strong and high-quality cable, wear proper protective gear, and make sure the car is in a stable condition before attempting to pull it. The direction and angle of the pull should also be carefully considered to avoid any potential accidents or injuries.