Calc 1 topics to prepare for Calc 2

In summary, the conversation is about the challenges and concerns of taking calculus 1 and preparing for calculus 2. The main topics discussed are related rates, optimization problems, and integration techniques. The conversation also includes tips for success in calculus 2 and examples of difficult application problems. Finally, it is mentioned that the conversation is taking place at a top engineering, math and science college.
Slimjimjohnso
I am taking calculus 1 right now and we have been doing a lot of application problems. Like related rates and finding and relating maximum values. I don't have any specific question I was just wanting to maybe have an open forum where we could discuss tips in understanding math->language a little better. I would really appreciate any little nuggets are suggestions any of you guys have.

I will be going on to calc 2 this fall and I am sort of nervous because this class is somewhat challenging for me and all my friends who are in calc 3 or higher keep saying it is easy. I don't find it all that easy. Is there anything I should really really pay attention to in order to be prepared for calc 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is calc 1?

alice22 said:
What is calc 1?
Very likely it's the first quarter or semester of calculus.

Some tips...
Make sure that you are very proficient at using the product rule, quotient rule, and especially the chain rule. What you'll be doing a lot of in the second calculus course is integration, which can be thought of as backwards differentiation. If you are weak with derivatives it will come back to haunt you when you start working with antiderivatives.

You'll be exposed to several different techniques of integration: substitution, which is where the chain rule comes in; integration by parts, which is where the product rule comes in; trig substitution, which requires a good understanding of right-triangle trig.

Being able to sketch graphs of functions is important when you come to applications involving definite integrals, such as finding the area beneath a curve, volumes of solids, and others.

That's all that come to mind right now. I'm sure I've left some things out, but if you are competent at what I've listed, that should get you through maybe 75% of the things covered. A lot of the concepts of calculus are relatively simple, but where many students fall down is not being able to carry longer calculations all the way through, due to poor understanding of algebra or trig, or previous calculus classes.

Last edited:
It is in fact first semester calculus.

I have all of the derivative rules down pat and have become rather proficient with them. Trig isn't too big of a deal either, I mainly have problem with trig when it comes to recognizing when I can use an identity.

We started antiderivatives yesterday :)

I have a test Monday and it covers a lot of application problems. This is where most of my worry falls in, I don't have trouble understanding math concepts and going through obvious needed motions to get a result. I have trouble applying what I know to actual situations.

Can you give some examples of the types of applied problems that have given you difficulties? Not the specific problems, just the general types.

Well I was having trouble with different related rate problems, but I am not too shabby with them now. (lots of practice problems lol)

But now its optimization problems. Finding minimum of materials used in a box' construction with just the volume given. Finding the formula for the maximum sized cylinder one can fit in a sphere with radius r. Stuff like that.

Take it from someone who took calc 2 at the nations' #1 engineering, math and science college. Calc 2 is full of integrals (finding areas, volumes), derivatives, series' (Taylor, Maclaurin), and sequences. Focus on those 4 things and you're sure to do well.

(to the poster above) MIT? Cal Tech?

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology

1. What are the key topics covered in Calculus 1 that I should review before starting Calculus 2?

The key topics covered in Calculus 1 that you should review before starting Calculus 2 include: limits, derivatives, integration, applications of integration, and techniques of integration.

2. How important is it to have a solid understanding of limits before moving on to Calculus 2?

Having a solid understanding of limits is crucial for success in Calculus 2. Many of the concepts and techniques in Calculus 2 build upon the foundation of limits, so it is important to have a strong understanding of them.

3. Should I review my derivatives and integration rules from Calculus 1 before starting Calculus 2?

Yes, it is highly recommended to review your derivatives and integration rules from Calculus 1 before starting Calculus 2. These rules are used extensively in Calculus 2, and having a strong understanding of them will make the transition much smoother.

4. Are there any specific techniques of integration that I should focus on reviewing for Calculus 2?

Some specific techniques of integration that you should review for Calculus 2 include: integration by parts, trigonometric substitutions, and partial fraction decomposition. These techniques are commonly used in more advanced integration problems in Calculus 2.

5. How can I best prepare for the more challenging concepts in Calculus 2?

To best prepare for the more challenging concepts in Calculus 2, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals from Calculus 1. Additionally, practicing with a variety of problems and seeking help from a tutor or instructor when needed can also be beneficial.