Calc 2 Finding volume of wedge

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the volume of a wedge in the given sketch by integrating the area of vertical cross sections. The conversation involves finding the formulas for b(x) and h(x) and using them to solve the problem. The conversation also briefly mentions finding the plane equation and the importance of understanding how to figure out unknown quantities.
dorangospecie
Sketch: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6479/6219ek4.gif

Find the volume of the wedge in figure (A) in above sketch by integrating the area of vertical cross sections.

This is what I have so far:

b(x) = length of base of triangle at position x
h(x) = height of triangle at position x

For b(x) - use similar triangles
8/6 = (8-x)/b(x)
b(x)=3/4(8-x)

How then we would find the h(x) and solve the actual problem? Can anyone please help me out??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that height of the plane is also dependent on y
so should be h(x,y).

Find the plane equation. z = ax+by+c and so you know the height.

Can you please refer to the sketch and tell me the actual numbers used? I am really trying to figure it out, but I genuinely can't.

rootX said:
Note that height of the plane is also dependent on y.
I thought he was defining h(x) to be the height of the triangular cross-section -- not the height of the tetrahedron OABC over a point in the xy plane.

Last edited:
dorangospecie said:
Can you please refer to the sketch and tell me the actual numbers used? I am really trying to figure it out, but I genuinely can't.
If we tell you the actual numbers used, then you won't learn how to figure things out, right? How does one normally go about trying to find the value of unknown quantities?

Of course, there's more than one way to solve a problem -- your apprach seems perfectly reasonable. Your formula for b(x) looks correct. I made a sanity check by plugging in two known values (x=0 and x=8) to see if it gives the right answer. (Did you remember to make that check?)

I'm confused as to why you aren't using the exact same method to find h(x).

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a wedge in Calc 2?

The formula for finding the volume of a wedge in Calc 2 is V = (1/6) * π * h * (r1^2 + r1 * r2 + r2^2), where h is the height of the wedge and r1 and r2 are the radii of the circular bases.

2. How do I determine the height of a wedge for volume calculation?

The height of a wedge can be determined by taking the difference between the height of the two intersecting planes or by using trigonometric functions to find the height of the slanted edge.

3. Can I use this formula for finding the volume of any type of wedge?

Yes, this formula can be used for finding the volume of any type of wedge as long as the wedge has circular bases and the height can be determined.

4. How do I find the radii of the circular bases of a wedge?

The radii of the circular bases can be given in the problem or can be measured from a diagram. If not given, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the radii by using the height and the slanted edge lengths.

5. Can I use this formula to find the volume of a wedge in 3D space?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the volume of a wedge in 3D space as long as the wedge is a solid figure and the height and radii of the circular bases can be determined.