Getting Started With A Blood Vessel Problem

In summary, the blood near the boundary of the artery moves slowly, while the blood at the center of the artery moves the fastest. The velocity, v, of the blood at a distance r from the center of the artery is given by v=\frac{P}{4nl}(R^2-r^2).
Tom McCurdy
i was hoping for someone to help me get started with this problem
==
A blood vessel is cylindrical with radius R. and length l. the blood near the boundary moves slowly; blood at the cetner moves the fastest. The velocity, v, of the blood at a distance r from the center of the artery is given by

[tex] v = \frac{P}{4nl}(R^2-r^2) [/tex]

where P is the pressure difference between the ends of the blood vessel and n is the viscosity of the blood.

a.) Find the reate at which the blood is flowign down the blood vessel. (Give your answer as a volume per unit time.)

b.) Show that your result agrees with Poiseuille's Law which says that the rate at which blood is flowing down the blood vessel is proportional to the radius of the blood vessel to the fourth power.

I am not really sure how to begin this problem.. seeing that the power needs to be rasied from 2 to 4 suggested to me that perhaps two integrals were needed, although how to use two integrals on this problem didn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
B has some mistakes I would say.
Rate = v*pi^2*R^2 = k*(R^4 - r^2*R^2)
Rate is directly proportional to R^2(R^2 - r^2).

I'm pretty sure ... other than perhaps spelling (lol) that both a and b don't have mistakes in them.

Sketch the velocity profile (graph of [itex]r[/itex] vs. [itex]v(r)[/itex]). Remembering that the tube has a circular cross section, find an expression for the volume of a cylindrical shell of radius [itex]r[/itex], length [itex]l[/itex] and thickness [itex]dr[/itex]. Then figure out how long it would take for the shell to leave the artery. That should allow you to write down a differential volumetric flow rate, which you can integrate.

still confused

Alright so volume would be equal to

[tex] volume=2 \pi l\int_0^R{r*dr} [/tex]

then would you take the deravative of the velocity to get position to solve for time?

What is a blood vessel problem?

A blood vessel problem refers to any condition or disorder that affects the structure or function of blood vessels in the body. This can include issues such as blockages, inflammation, aneurysms, or abnormal growths.

What are the common symptoms of a blood vessel problem?

The symptoms of a blood vessel problem can vary depending on the specific condition, but some common signs include chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, dizziness, numbness or weakness in limbs, and changes in vision or speech.

What are the risk factors for developing a blood vessel problem?

Some common risk factors for blood vessel problems include smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, a sedentary lifestyle, and a family history of heart disease or other vascular conditions. Age and gender can also play a role.

How are blood vessel problems diagnosed?

Blood vessel problems can be diagnosed through a variety of methods, including physical exams, imaging tests (such as ultrasounds, CT scans, or MRIs), and blood tests. Your doctor may also ask about your medical history and any symptoms you are experiencing.

What are the treatment options for a blood vessel problem?

The treatment for a blood vessel problem will depend on the specific condition and its severity. Some common treatment options include lifestyle changes (such as quitting smoking or improving diet and exercise habits), medication, surgery, and other procedures (such as angioplasty or stent placement).