Calc 2 simple integration i'm stuck on

In summary, the conversation involves a student asking for help with an integral problem and using substitution to solve it. The student shows their attempt at a solution and asks for feedback on where they went wrong. Another user suggests trying a different substitution and expanding the answer to check for any errors. The original student is then informed that their initial answer was actually correct and the conversation ends with a reminder about the different forms of the final answer.
marc017
My first post let's see if i did this typing right, if not please forgive me...

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{(1+ln x)^2}{x}\,dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

Trying to attack it by using substitution..

The Attempt at a Solution

Using...
u = 1 + ln(x) , du = 1/x

[tex]
\begin{align}
\int \frac{(1+ln x)^2}{x}\,dx \\
&= \int (u)^2\,du \\
&= \frac{u^3}{3} + C \\
&= \frac{(1+ln x)^3}{3} + C \\
\end{align}
[/tex]

Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you instead let u = lnx ? Work it out and see what happens. Does the result look more like the answer in your textbook ?

Also, what makes you think your first answer is wrong ? Try expanding [itex] (1 + lnx)^3 [/itex] in your first answer What does the result look like ? Does it look like the answer in the textbook or the answer your instructor provided ?

Last edited:
Thank you skins.

marc017 said:
My first post let's see if i did this typing right, if not please forgive me...

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{(1+ln x)^2}{x}\,dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

Trying to attack it by using substitution..

The Attempt at a Solution

Using...

u = 1 + ln(x) , du = 1/x
[tex]
\begin{align}
\int \frac{(1+ln x)^2}{x}\,dx \\
&= \int (u)^2\,du \\
&= \frac{u^3}{3} + C \\
&= \frac{(1+ln x)^3}{3} + C \\
\end{align}
[/tex]Where did I go wrong?
It looks good to me.

To check it, take the derivative with respect to x.

Also, as skins has suggested, expand ##\ (1+\ln(x))^3\ .##

Don't forget the constant of integration that is in one solution may not match constant of integration in another solution. In particular, if C is a constant, then C + 1 is also a constant.

marc017 said:
Thank you skins.

Thank you, you're welcome. As it turned out your answer was correct all along, It was just that the form of your final answer was probably different than what showed in your textbook or on the blackboard. But it was still correct nonetheless.

1. How do I find the antiderivative of a function?

To find the antiderivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. You can also use integration by parts or trigonometric substitution for more complex functions.

2. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the exact numerical value of a definite integral, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function.

3. How do I know which integration technique to use?

Choosing the right integration technique depends on the form of the function you are integrating. Generally, you should try to simplify the function or use substitution to make it easier to integrate.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in integration?

Some common mistakes to avoid in integration include forgetting to add the constant of integration, not applying the correct integration rules, and forgetting to change the limits of integration when performing definite integration.

5. How can I check my answer when integrating?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of your antiderivative and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also use online integration calculators or graphing software to visualize your answer and see if it aligns with the original function.