Calc - Derivatives and Differentiation of Logs

f(x) = xg(x) = e-4xf'(x) = 1g'(x) = -4e-4xf(x)*g(x) = xe-4xf'(x)*g(x) = e-4xf(x)*g'(x) = -4xe-4xf'(x)*g'(x) = -4e-4x... and then add the two terms that have an x in it and you're done.
chops369

Homework Statement

I have a few problems that are giving me some trouble:

1. Take the derivative of xe-4x

2. Find dy/dx and evaluate the slope for the curve ey^3 - 2x4 + y2 = 3 at (8,0)

3. Find dy/dx and evaluate the slope for the curve e-y - 4 = x2 + 1 at (-2,2)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I'm OK with taking these types of derivatives, but the x out in front is throwing me off. I'm not quite sure what to do with it. For now, I have this as my answer: -4xe-4x

2. I'm not going to type out every step, but I took d/dx of both sides and eventually came up with dy/dx(3yey^3 + 2y) = 8x3

Then I solved for dy/dx to get 8x3 / (3yey^3 + 2y)

The only thing that gives me reason to believe my answer is incorrect is the fact that when I plug in the values for x and y from the coordinate given, I get 4096 / 0, which would mean the slope is undefined. For some reason this doesn't seem right.

3. I took d/dx of both sides and eventually got -e-ydy/dx = 2x

Then I solved for dy/dx to get 2x / (-e-y)

Then I plugged in the coordinate values and got a slope of 29.6. Is this correct? I wasn't sure if it was OK to move the terms as such in the beginning: e-y - x2 = 5

Physics news on Phys.org
chops369 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

1. I'm OK with taking these types of derivatives, but the x out in front is throwing me off. I'm not quite sure what to do with it. For now, I have this as my answer: -4xe-4x

2. I'm not going to type out every step, but I took d/dx of both sides and eventually came up with dy/dx(3yey^3 + 2y) = 8x3

The only thing that gives me reason to believe my answer is incorrect is the fact that when I plug in the values for x and y from the coordinate given, I get 4096 / 0, which would mean the slope is undefined. For some reason this doesn't seem right.

Then I plugged in the coordinate values and got a slope of 29.6. Is this correct? I wasn't sure if it was OK to move the terms as such in the beginning: e-y - x2 = 5

1. You must use the product rule With f = x and g = e-4x.

2. Are you using implicit differentiation? If not you should.

3. You can move the terms, you are just simplifying the equation. Personally I would isolate the y variable, take the ln of both sides and then differentiate.

chops369 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

N/A

Nope. You need to use the product rule.
chops369 said:
It doesn't look like you used the chain rule correctly. E.g., d/dx(ey2) = ey2 * d/dx(y2) = ey2 * 2y*y'.
chops369 said:

This one looks OK. Sure you can move terms around from one side to the other of an equation and then take the derivative.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Nope. You need to use the product rule.
Really? Why wouldn't the x just go away? For example, d/dx (ex) = e ?

chops369 said:
Really? Why wouldn't the x just go away? For example, d/dx (ex) = e ?
d/dx(k*f(x)) = k *d/dx(f(x)), so d/dx(ex) = e*d/dx(x) = e

But the problem I referred to had xe-4x, so the product rule has to be used. Although e is a constant, e-4x is a function of x.

Mark44 said:
d/dx(k*f(x)) = k *d/dx(f(x)), so d/dx(ex) = e*d/dx(x) = e

But the problem I referred to had xe-4x, so the product rule has to be used. Although e is a constant, e-4x is a function of x.

Oh, OK I see.

I'm not sure if I used the product rule correctly in this case. I'm still a bit shaky with some of these derivatives.

Here is what I did:

f '(x) = 1 * e-4x + x * -4e-4x
Then simplifying to get e-4x - 4xe-4x as my final answer.

OK, great. I'm still having major trouble with the second problem. This ey3 is driving me insane.

Did you say that I need to use the chain rule on it? I'm really confused about this.

I'm don't really understand the example of the chain rule you posted earlier. To me, it looks like it suggests that d/dx (ey3) = ey3 * 2y * 2y ? Also, for this type of problem, how would you account for adding dy/dx variables in, as in implicit differentiation? Would you just proceed as normal?

Last edited:
chops369 said:
OK, great. I'm still having major trouble with the second problem. This ey3 is driving me insane.

Did you say that I need to use the chain rule on it? I'm really confused about this.

dy/dx[ey3] = ?

dy/dx [ey] = ey * dy/dx Does this help you?

I'm don't really understand the example of the chain rule you posted earlier. To me, it looks like it suggests that d/dx (ey3) = ey3 * 2y * 2y ? Also, for this type of problem, how would you account for adding dy/dx variables in, as in implicit differentiation? Would you just proceed as normal?

d/dx (ey3) = ey3 * 2y * 2y is not correct.

You know that d/du[eu] = eu*u'. So what is the derivative of y3? Namely what is d/dx [y3] =? Then you can just multiply that by ey3 and that is your answer. There will be a dy/dx in your answer.

Last edited:
zachzach said:
d/dx (ey3) = ey3 * 2y * 2y is not correct.

You know that d/du[eu] = eu*u'. So what is the derivative of y3? Namely what is d/dx [y3] =? Then you can just multiply that by ey3 and that is your answer. There will be a dy/dx in your answer.

Is it (3y2 * dy/dx) * ey3, then? But isn't this not the chain rule?

y is an implicit function of x, so when you differentiate d/dx e^(y^3) you have to use the chain rule for e ^ ( y^3 ) [the ouside e^__ ] and then the chain rule again for y^3

Last edited:
chops369 said:
Is it (3y2 * dy/dx) * ey3, then? But isn't this not the chain rule?

Yes that is the correct answer. It is the chain rule if you let u = ey3 then by the chain rule du/dx = du/dy * dy/dx.
du/dy = ey3*(3y2) and dy/dx = dy/dx.

Ok, now I'm stuck again, but only on something minor.

I now have 3y2(dy/dx) * ey3 + 2y(dy/dx) = 8x3

If I want to factor out a dy/dx, how can I combine the 3y2 with the ey3 ? Do I just lump them together, i.e. 3y2ey3 ?

If so, my original answer was correct for the most part and I am still left with a slope of 4096 / 0 = und.

Last edited:
chops369 said:
Ok, now I'm stuck again, but only on something minor.

I now have 3y2(dy/dx) * ey3 + 2y(dy/dx) = 8x3

If I want to factor out a dy/dx, how can I combine the 3y2 with the ey3 ? Do I just lump them together, i.e. 3y2ey3 ?

3y2(dy/dx) * ey3 + 2y(dy/dx) = 8x3

Like you would any other variable:

dy/dx(3y2*ey3+2y)

So yes, the the order of multiplication does not matter and dy/dx is multiplying that argument.

3y2(dy/dx) * ey3 = 3y2*(dy/dx) * ey3

=3y2*ey3*(dy/dx)

FAQ: Calc - Derivatives and Differentiation of Logs

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. What is the power rule for derivatives?

The power rule states that when finding the derivative of a function that has a constant raised to a variable power, you can bring the power down in front and decrease the power by 1.

3. How do you differentiate a logarithmic function?

To differentiate a logarithmic function, you can use the logarithmic differentiation technique, which involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the function and then using the power rule and chain rule to simplify the expression.

4. What is the difference between a derivative and a differential?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while a differential is a mathematical concept that represents the small change in a function as the input variable changes by a small amount.

5. Can you differentiate a function with multiple variables?

Yes, it is possible to differentiate a function with multiple variables. This is known as partial differentiation, where you take the derivative with respect to one variable while treating the other variables as constants.

Back