Calc: Find a definite integral for the mass

In summary: Thanks for clearing that up! :)In summary, the mug has a radius of 4 cm and a height of 8 cm. When sugar is added to the tea, the sugar usually settles to the bottom of the mug. The mass of sugar in the tea at a height of h cm from the bottom of the mug is given by the following equation: d(h) = 0.01(8-h).
calculusisfun

Homework Statement

A cylinder mug with a 4 centimeter radius and 8 centimeter height is filled with tea. When sugar is added to the tea, the sugar usually settles to the bottom of the cylinder mug. The density of sugar in the tea at a height h centimeter from the bottom of the cylinder mug is given by the following formula: d(h) = 0.01(8-h). [Note: mass = (volume)(density)]

Write a definite integral that gives the mass of sugar in the mug exactly.

2. The attempt at a solution

Volume of the mug: [PLAIN]http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2599/calc3.png

Mass = volume x density

Mass = [PLAIN]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3589/calc4.png

Not sure if I did this right or completely wrong.

Help would be much appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi calculusisfun !:smile:

no, the cup is divided into horizontal slices of height dh,

so inside your volume-times-density integral, you must put the volume of the slice

it'll be a mutliple of dh

(that's where your "dh" comes from! :wink:)

(you've used the volume of the whole cup, which doesn't give the same result)

Thanks for responding tiny-tim! :)

So, would it be like this? [PLAIN]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9790/calc5.png

I multiplied d(h) by 16 pi h, because 16 pi h represents the height of an individual slice of the cylinder.

Am I still doing this completely wrong? :p

I feel like such a nerd staying in on Halloween haha, but any help is much appreciated. :)

Can anyone verify? Apologies for the bump.

hi calculusisfun! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
calculusisfun said:
I multiplied d(h) by 16 pi h, because 16 pi h represents the height of an individual slice of the cylinder.

(have a pi: π :wink:)

no, you haven't quite got the hang of this slicing business

the slice is only dh high

(with these slices, the d-something is always one of the dimensions, in this case dh is a length, so you only need the area, you don't need an extra h :wink:)

since its area is πr2, that's a total volume of πr2 dh …

in this case, r is constant, so it's only 16π dh (not 16π h dh)

(btw, i'd keep the 16π*.01 outside a bracket, until just before the end)

try again! :smile:

Thanks for the patience tiny-tim. :)

So, are you saying it should actually be:

[PLAIN]http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3233/eqn3042.png

??

I'm confused. If mass = (density)(volume), why can't I multiply those two formulas together and then integrate??

Sorry for being so uneducated. :p

hi calculusisfun! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
calculusisfun said:
I'm confused. If mass = (density)(volume), why can't I multiply those two formulas together and then integrate??

you have done …

0.01(8 - h) is the density, and 16πdh is the volume (of each slice)

you need to convince yourself of this!

go through some worked examples from your book (i expect they have things like volume of a sphere from slices … that's with constant density of course) to see it in operation :smile:

(and of course come back here if you're still worried :wink:)

Hey Tin-tim,

Again thanks for your help. :)

This question was just on a handout my teacher gave me, so I went looking online for similar problems. I came across this one here.

It looks like they did what I suppose I did. They multiplied the volume function by the density function and then integrated.

It just seems to make sense to me this way haha.

v(h) = 16πh <---- volume of cylinder h high
d(h) = 0.01(8-h) <----- density of cylinder h from the base

So then just multiply them together and integrate that formula from 0 to 8. Why is this incorrect? You said it adds an extra h or something along those lines, but the h in the volume formula and the h in the density formula are independent of each other it appears.

Haha geez I am confused. :p

hey calculusisfun! :smile:
calculusisfun said:
… I came across this one here.

It looks like they did what I suppose I did. They multiplied the volume function by the density function and then integrated.

i'm having difficulty viewing that link, but i think there's no integration involved
It just seems to make sense to me this way haha.

v(h) = 16πh <---- volume of cylinder h high
d(h) = 0.01(8-h) <----- density of cylinder h from the base

So then just multiply them together and integrate that formula from 0 to 8. Why is this incorrect? You said it adds an extra h or something along those lines, but the h in the volume formula and the h in the density formula are independent of each other it appears.

ah, when i said "you don't need an extra h", i was talking about dimenions

if you write the area as πr2 (instead of 16π), it becomes clearer …

it should be ∫ (density) πr2 dh, which is ∫ (density) (a volume),

but you're trying ∫ (density) πr2 h dh, which is ∫ (density) (a volume) (a tiny distance)!

tiny distances are still distances! :smile:

to integrate the density times the volume, essentially you do ∫ (density) d(volume), and in this case d(volume) is the volume of the tiny slice

Thanks for the prompt reply! :)

Oh, so you're saying the volume of a slice is πr^2? But don't you have to take account of the height of the slice? So you would need the h right?

calculusisfun said:
Thanks for the prompt reply! :)

Oh, so you're saying the volume of a slice is πr^2? But don't you have to take account of the height of the slice? So you would need the h right?

no, the volume of a slice is πr2 dh

dh is a length

(and it's not h because you only want the slice :wink:)

(btw, I'm going out for the evening by half-past)

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve in a given interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is also known as the limit of a sum.

2. How is a definite integral used to find the mass of an object?

In physics, the mass of an object can be found by calculating the area under the curve of a velocity vs. time graph. This area represents the displacement of the object, which is directly proportional to its mass. Therefore, by finding the definite integral of the velocity function, we can determine the mass of the object.

3. What are the steps to finding a definite integral for mass?

The first step is to determine the velocity function of the object. Then, identify the interval for which you want to find the mass. Next, find the definite integral of the velocity function over the given interval. Finally, multiply the result by the density of the object to get the mass.

4. Can a definite integral be negative when calculating mass?

Yes, a definite integral can be negative when calculating mass. This happens when the velocity function has both positive and negative values within the given interval. The negative part of the integral represents the backward motion of the object, while the positive part represents its forward motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using a definite integral to find the mass of an object?

Yes, there are a few limitations. The object's velocity must be constant or changing at a constant rate for the definite integral to accurately represent its mass. Additionally, this method is only applicable to objects moving in one dimension.