1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc III, Inequalitites problem!

1. Sep 1, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, i'm having some troubles figuring this out. I'm supppose to Describe the set of points whose coordinates satisfy the given equations and inequalitites. Sketch the graph.

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ≤ 16, 2 ≤ y ≤ 4;

I forgot the rules of inequalitites, I see its an equation of a sphere and the plane is going to be parallel to the xz-plane but i'm lost after that. Any help would be great! thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2005 #2
    What is the question?
    If you are supposed to find the volume:
    The answer is 40pi/3
    If you are supposed to find the curved surface area,it is:16pi
    If you are supposed to find the total surface area,it is 28pi
  4. Sep 1, 2005 #3
    balakasldkfaje, your answers are all irrelevant. Coffee, it wants you to describe the surface of intersection. The first equation is a ball (almost literally), and the second is a block. If you have some graphing software its easy to see but I can understand why your having difficulty imagining these.

They intersect and make a funny lookin shape, kinda like if you hsaved the head off of a tennis ball.
  5. Sep 1, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

The 1st inequality is a solid sphere. The 2nd inequality limits the values of y-coordintes.

In fact, it's only the top quarter of the tennis ball that is left.From y = 2 to y = 4.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?