Runway Length for Takeoff: Solving for x

• Thread starter stanners
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary: Think it through.In summary, a 727 jet needs to attain a speed of 200 mph in order to take off. To determine the length of the runway needed, the problem can be set up using the equations v=at and d=(1/2)*a*t^2 and converting all units to seconds. The correct answer is approximately 2 miles. However, the initial confusion may have been caused by not properly converting the given speed of 200 mph to miles per second.
stanners

Homework Statement

A 727 jet needs to attain a speed of 200 mph to take off. If it can accelerate from 0 to 200 mph in 30 seconds, how long must the runway be? (Assume constant accleration). Show all your work and include units in your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since v = dx/dt = 200t

I took the integral of dx = integral of 200t dt

and I got x = 100t^2 + C

So I plugged in 0.5 as t and got x = 25.

So x = 25 miles? But.. 25 miles sounds wrong for an airplane runway.. where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have time units of both hours, minutes and seconds in your problem. I would suggest before mixing them (and not indicating units) that you convert your numbers to a common time unit.

Last edited:
Oh, so instead of 0.5, it should've been

( (30sec) / (3600sec/hr) ) = t

so it comes out to 0.0069 miles?

Thanks again

0.0069 miles=about 35 feet. About as bad an estimate as 25 miles. Just convert everything to seconds. You are doing everything correctly mathematically - except the grasp of units is horrible.

Last edited:
If you've ever taken off in a plane you know the answer is roughly on the order of a mile. Don't rest until you get something in that ballpark.

Actually, I don't even think I set it up right after I look at it again, so I'm stuck now.

v is not 200t (is it?). v is just 200. so dx = 200 dt,
so, x = 200t

so (30/3600) hour = t

plugged it in, got x = 1.6666666666667

so about 2 miles, that seems right. So did I actually set the problem up wrong?

Still wrong. Please start using units, ok? v=at. d=(1/2)*a*t^2. You had it set up just fine. The units are killing you. What it 200 mph in miles/sec?

1. What is the formula for calculating runway length for takeoff?

The formula for calculating runway length for takeoff is: Takeoff Distance (TOD) = Ground Run (GR) + Safety Margin (SM) + Obstacle Clearance Distance (OCD). This formula takes into account the ground run, which is the distance required for the aircraft to reach takeoff speed, the safety margin for any unexpected factors, and the obstacle clearance distance to ensure the aircraft can safely clear any objects on the runway.

2. How do factors like temperature and wind affect the required runway length for takeoff?

Temperature and wind can significantly affect the required runway length for takeoff. Higher temperatures can decrease air density, making it more difficult for the aircraft to generate lift, and therefore requiring a longer runway. Strong headwinds can also increase the ground speed of the aircraft, reducing the distance needed for takeoff. However, strong tailwinds can have the opposite effect and require a longer runway.

3. What are some common variables that affect the runway length required for takeoff?

Some common variables that can affect the runway length required for takeoff include the weight of the aircraft, altitude of the airport, temperature, wind conditions, and any obstacles on the runway. The type of aircraft and its performance capabilities also play a significant role in determining the required runway length.

4. How can runway length be optimized for a given aircraft and airport?

Runway length can be optimized for a given aircraft and airport by taking into consideration the specific performance capabilities of the aircraft, the prevailing weather conditions, and any obstacles on the runway. Pilots must also adhere to specific takeoff procedures, such as using the correct flap settings and adhering to prescribed speeds, to ensure the most efficient use of runway length.

5. What are some safety considerations when calculating runway length for takeoff?

Safety is the top priority when calculating runway length for takeoff. In addition to accounting for the necessary distance for the aircraft to reach takeoff speed, a safety margin should also be added to account for any unexpected factors. It is also crucial to consider any obstacles on the runway and ensure they can be safely cleared. Pilots must also adhere to all safety procedures and regulations to ensure a safe takeoff.